Price Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to my local fish store to look at a 72 gallon bowfront tank. The tank and stand are around $500. What blew me away was they gave me a quote of $2500 for everyting I needed to get the tank started. the $2500 included the tank, stand, canopy, compact florescant lighting, filter, skimmer, live rock, live sand, etc. Is this accurate?

I have invested about 2000 dollars or more into my 46g I have heard of others spending 10k+ on their setups. I would definately do the majority of the shopping online it will save some money. right now there are a lot of deals with free shipping since it is so close to christmas.

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=103028 In this post is the list of what all I just bought I shopped around for months online before I made the decisions I did. Also I got my lighting at webaquatics https://www82.safesecureweb.com/web...ROD&Product_Code=CL53406&Category_Code=CLAAPF

$2500 for a complete 72g setup is a good deal... depending on the quality of the equipment and the amount and quality of the live rock they're giving you. In my experience, it seems like a bunch of that equipment that LFSs bundle together in a "beginner's package" is not the best quality in the world. Before I jumped on the offer, I'd research what type/brand of equipment you want and get an idea in your head of what stuff is junk and what stuff is OK. Then you'll be better equipped to bargain.

Most lfs do not make money on the tank. It's all the other stuff they bundle in that is their profit center. I have no qualms about supporting the local business, but they still need to offer good quality products at fair prices. That's what you need to research. As Kurt said, research the brand names of the items they are including. You might end up buying a lot of stuff online.

For a reef, mot people will spend anywhere from $800 to $1400 on just the lighting (even more if you wanted leds...). Like everyone says most of the stuff the lfs bundles together in the package is low quality equipment that you could get on the internet for half the price (or less sometimes) and you'll most likely end up upgrading it later, thus spending more money and then having equipment laying around that you don't need. That's why I like to piece my equipment together. Make a list of what you need and find the equipment that will fit your budget. I've spent probably $3k alone on all the equipment and livestock for my 10 gallon and 20 gallon nanos reefs (If I could redo it now it would be less since I know more now).

Also to add you dont need all that at one time. Just get your LR and sand and PH`s at first and then cycle your tank. 6-8 weeks later maybe your lights and skimmer and so on. That way you can buy on the so called installment plan. Also you might get good quality equipment online for better price. JMO

That's not a bad price for the whole setup. I'm sure you could beat that if you got the stuff yourself. I bought a piece at a time over a couple of months before setting mine up and saved a ton of money! Ebay is a great place to pick up equipment.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
A more detailed list of the items would help in determining cost. $2500 for EVERYTHING if it is good quality and includes delivery and set-up is not too bad. However, there are several ways to save some money but they will require more time and planning. You can source your tank and stand locally and then save a ton ordering the rest of the stuff online. Things like lighting, heaters, powerheads, test kits, skimmer, filters, and other odds and ends are much cheaper online.

Hello jw! I had to chime in here. I have a 72 gallon bowfront that I purchased 15 months ago. I got a "reef" package including "everything" for $1800 (did not include delivery or setup). It was nice to have everything to start up right away but I now wish I had done a few things differently. I did get a pc lighting fixture but I wish I would have opted for mh lighting instead. The skimmer I got was really crummy. I had to upgrade my heater a couple of months after I had everything set up. I did get a very nice batch of lr with my package deal.

All in all I'd highly suggest you plan on a stocking list and tailor your setup towards that.

Like all of the guru's here mentioned.....ask specifically what type/brand of equipment you will be getting. How much live rock is included in that price? What type of lighting fixture will you get for that price? etc.

Lastly, I've found many, many helpful folks here on this site. Be sure to ask away and don't be shy. They can really provide you with great web sites and some really good information too.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom