Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Prizm Deluxe Skimmer

how would a prizm deluxe skimmer be on a 55g? is 80 bucks at salwaterfish.com a decent price?

ross v

saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Though rated for up to 90 gallons, I think a 55 would be the high limit for the prizms capabilities. I use one on my 20 gallon with no complaints.

Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree that the Prizm would be maxed out on a 55. The deluxe with the surface skimmer should do a better job than the regular Prizm though. I also have a Prizm running on a 20g tank and it does pull some stuff from the water. The only problem I have had with mine is keeping it adjusted. If you get the water flowing through too fast, it will fill up the collection cup and spill over in the floor. As for the price, that's about right IMO. That's about $3 less than I sell them for. If you can justify the extra expense, I think an Aqua C Remora would do you a better job. You're looking at about $180-190 for one of those with the MJ1200 pump and a surface skimmer though.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have one of the old school prizm skimmers and as logan said its very sensitive to adjustments. One slight chjange could go from a very dry foam to a fairly wet foam. For the price range and the skimmers that are wwithin that price range I feel its a good skimmer. For the size tank your looking at getting I have to question how well it will work.

What I like to do is take the max tank size the company recommends and cut it in half. So a 90 gal tank capacity would be more like a 45 gal tank max.

The skimmer your asking about is the second version of the prizm skimmer and can be found here http://www.redseafish.com/SubCategor...ID=93&subID=34

Its rated for 100 gal tank and has a surface skimmer attached to it. The surface skimmer should increase its effectiveness to some degree since its no longer pulling water from about 5" below the surface but instead taking water from the surface.

While the Remora is in a different price range (approx 2X the cost) I would classify it as a more efficent skimmer than the prizm. Note: this is based upon my experence with the prizm classic.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
iv got a prizim delux and it works good, but as mentioned above i agree that there touchy with the water flow.
e-cat is offline   Reply With Quote

prizm, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com