problem and possible soultion advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
when we set up our tank one of the many problems we encountered was the macro algae that i bought and put in the sump was sucked right out of the sump and carried to the main tank now we have a bumper crop of crap that has gotten impossible to keep up with so hubbies latest thought is....take all the rock out of the main tank put the rock that is in the sump with a few new pieces into the main the rest of the rock from the main let it dry out until all that crap is gone then place it back in...
the biggest problem i can see with this idea is that this will hurt the mandarins pod population thoughts and suggestions appreciated tia

the biggest problem i can see with this idea is that this will hurt the mandarins pod population thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Before Doing that...I would simply put it in the dark. Another solution is that while you got it out of the tank, rip the macro off. I assume you have tried biological means of control?

the tang and the blenny do not even dent it we are talking major and we tried taking it out and picking it off with tweezers that did not do it have even tried putting it in a unlit sump just comes back when reintroduced to the main tank :evil: i will post a pic so you can see what we are dealing with :roll:

ok i

know they are crappy pics but you get the idea
img_213586_0_3260bba6351890b9c6d477a1614101ff.jpg
[/img]
img_213586_1_ac02d72f1f3175e207909d0099f78619.jpg
[/img]
8O :? :oops: :cry: :evil:

I had some stuff like that and was told it was a variety of bryopsis. If it is, that would explain why no fish are eating it.

ok that looks like some of what i have i have about 4 different kinds of crap i there i think so what do you think of the drying it out idea we honestly cannot control this stuff just 2 days ago al spent hours in there and removed a heaping dinner plate full of this i am at a loss as to what else we can do it is super alage 0X

I am sure your idea would work, I am just not sure that is the best solution if you are considered about the pods. It took two months to get rid of mine, I pulled it out daily, but eventually won the battle. Lettuce nudibranch will eat it, it is their only food source from what I understand. So if you got some, you would need to be prepared to hand off the nudi's to someone else before they starved to death.
While fighting the battle, you might also want to cut back on feeding fish and reduce your lighting schedule to the bare minimum.

I've also heard sea hares will eat it, but not sure on that, FWIW, Iagree with Hara, and if you dry the rock, you may as well be starting over, problem alge will get a foothold very easily when you put it back in.

ok what would be the bare min lighting schedule we have 2 roses a frogspawn rics zoos mushrooms pom poms a green sps of some kind and a couple of leathers and how much can i cut the feeding 1 or 2 a week?

i have 6 t'5s 2 blue plus 2 atinic 1 aqua and 1 white would i run all of them for 6 hrs? or not use the center 2 at all? and can i cut back to 1 or 2 feedings a week without the clowns starving?

Back
Top Bottom