Problem with alk and cal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't seem to get my alk above 7dkh and my cal is stuck at 380. I dosed mag it's at 1350 to 1450.

I keep stepping my doser up a couple mg a week but it won't go past 7dkh I'm dosing 42 ml on the daily does this seem normal?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are you using to raise KH?
380 is not all bad for Ca(low end) but you should be able to raise it if the MG is allowing.
Sounds like your MG is good.

Was reading somthing that said I should rais them both equally to get the levels up.

KH,CA any traces are all separate.
MG has an effect on holding Ca. but adding MG won't just raise your Ca. as far as I know?
2 part like from BRS?

Alkalinity and calcium move with each other. Things can go off kilter with one being high and the other low. The relationship between these two is managed by your mag level.

What tests are you using to test your alk and calcium? They are both low and mag would be fine, but the fact that dosing isn't raising anything doesn't seem too possible. Along with that, I don't know any salt mix that has both levels in that area. A large water change would be able to bring them back to acceptable levels if the readings were accurate.

Elos test kits are on point with api for alk and cal. I use salient for mag tests.

I'm not familiar with Elos test kits...but I do know that I've never seen an API test come close to accurate for alk or calcium. So, that makes me not want to trust those results outside of the mag test.
Here is a link of the mix ratio for Red Sea's salt:
Coral Pro Salt is ideal for sustainable, accelerated coral growth.
So, with calcium supposed to be at 450 for their salt and you reporting that the dosing isn't raising the levels at all I'd want to use a more accurate test kit. I only ever suggest Red Sea or Hanna Checkers.

Yeah I was looking into the red sea I actually plan on picking it up next weekend ironically.

I had red sea, personally I prefer the Hannah checkers.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom