Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree, alot of reading. I will be able to perform the chemical testing over the weekend. I also plan to change my plumbing as well over the weekend. MY understanding is slow and steady for the next month or 2.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Wish there was an aquarium nanny that goes to peoples homes and helps people work on the aquarium. Just a thought.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Seeing as no one has mentioned this, I am thinking that maybe I am not reading the original post correctly....but just in case I am, does it say/mean you have one 75 watt metal halide light over this tank? If so, that is going to be a very large part of the problem. Insufficient lighting. I know it says you have an anemone, but if the anemone has parked itself right under that bulb then it is happy but nothing else is..

Just wondering for sure how much lighting is on the tank.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #23

Opps sorry no that should be 2 175w bulbs MH.

Thanks for catching that Hara.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
ok, next question is what kinds of corals are you trying to grow? That is still only 350 watts on a 125 gallon tank which is pretty low on the lighting scale. The fact they are MH bulbs help a bit, but depending on placement and the type of coral, it still may not be enough lighting.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #25

Really: I didn not realize this. My thinking was that 3-1 was pretty good.

I another lesson to read through.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

I'm also guessing that the anenome has been slowly acclimated to the water as it has gotten worse over the years - nitrate buildup from crushed coral, maybe bio balls in the wet dry, additives, lack of water changes etc. Prolly the new corals coming in couldn't adjust.

Good move to get this straightened up now. Good luck!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
The use of tap is debatable, but I do at the mentioning of heavy metal toxicity in an aquarium
all you want. I work for the water dept so I know what goes in tap water. IMO it`s not fit for a reef tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #28

OK all:

1. Will to check on PH and salinity
2. Take water sample to the LFS and and see about ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and will ask somehow for the actuall measurement.

3. I will do a 20% water change over the weekend.

More to come
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #29

OK, went to LFS:

Results of the testing:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 200
Alkilinity: ok
PH: 7.8
Selinity 1.020

I am now running the skimmer flow to a 1 gal. milk jug.

I had glass covers on the tank. LFS guy said to take them off. I did and tank is actually brighter inside. He said that the glass actually does not let all of the light through. I'll let you guys figure that out. But ok.

LFS guys nitrates high due to what I was doing with the skimmer.
I need to bring the PH up and selinity as well.

I know that with a 20% I can bring it up with that. but the PH I'm not sure guys. Ill read in the forum. In the meantime. What are your ideas?

Thanks,

Obmanta
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Everyone has the right to know what elements and/or contaminants end up in their source water so "knowing" is irrelevent, but asking the right questions is. I do agree that certain areas would probably benefit from RO/DI in comparison to their tap, but not all water supply lines are created equal. That being said, what standards of toxicity are you referring to? Very little controlled data has been corresponded in metal toxicity and even that of which has, is bound by speciations and usability. In case you are wondering, all I am stating is to be careful when making a general statement about metal toxicity in tap water when such genuine information is next to nil.

Obmanta, do have them check PO4 (Phosphate) as I'm sure everyone here will ask anyways - bleh, too late. Perhaps I missed it, but other than a rusted bracket needing replacement, what is wrong with your plumbing? What does your wet/dry consist of? I agree that the NO3 is probably from the skimmate return if you were producing quite a bit of liquid plus any excessive feeding and improper water changes. I would perform a 25% water change (gravel vacuum), refill, and wait for a couple hours to see how your animals react. If all normal, another 25% would be in order (gravel vacuum another section).

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com