Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #51
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz View Post
From a fuge?

Yes from a fuge. The smaller particles will filter down through the big pieces. Also I found this if anybody is interested.

Chemistry and the Aquarium

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Yes from a fuge. The smaller particles will filter down through the big pieces. Also I found this if anybody is interested.

Chemistry and the Aquarium
And this behaviour is different from natural sedimentation in oolitic sand beds?

Here is the water report for Indianapolis http://www.indianapoliswater.com/***...07_4-13-07.pdf

Looks good to me I would recommend using prime in your source water as a dechlor.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
And this behaviour is different from natural sedimentation in oolitic sand beds?...
Although we attempt to recreate a "natural" environment in our tanks, they are anything but. There is a whole lot more water in the ocean to dilute things than in our tanks, so detritus getting stuck in gravel like substrate in the ocean really isn't a big deal.

I think the whole point is to avoid crushed coral in tanks due to the fact that it tends to trap debris in nooks and crannies that are hard to get to versus a sand bed which is easier to maintain through vacuuming and an appropriate cleanup crew.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Although we attempt to recreate a "natural" environment in our tanks, they are anything but. There is a whole lot more water in the ocean to dilute things than in our tanks, so detritus getting stuck in gravel like substrate in the ocean really isn't a big deal.

I think the whole point is to avoid crushed coral in tanks due to the fact that it tends to trap debris in nooks and crannies that are hard to get to versus a sand bed which is easier to maintain through vacuuming and an appropriate cleanup crew.
While I can obviously understand the size difference, in a fuge environment (which is what's being discussed), can we honestly say that CC would gather more detritus then LR rubble and chaetomorpha? or what would naturally settle on the sand with the reduced flow rate?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
While I can obviously understand the size difference, in a fuge environment (which is what's being discussed), can we honestly say that CC would gather more detritus then LR rubble and chaetomorpha? or what would naturally settle on the sand with the reduced flow rate?
Actually... what was originally being discussed was why the poster was losing corals. Where we went astray was when someone else asked whether they should use cc or sand in their fuge. Didn't see mention anywhere about LR rubble or chaeto. How any of this helps the original poster, I don't know. They just wanted to know why not to use cc in their tank!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Actually... what was originally being discussed was why the poster was losing corals. Where we went astray was when someone else asked whether they should use cc or sand in their fuge. Didn't see mention anywhere about LR rubble or chaeto. How any of this helps the original poster, I don't know. They just wanted to know why not to use cc in their tank!
I agree, this thread has drifted and CC has no place in a main tank. I was merely curious about an answer given to a question regarding using some cc in a fuge in conjunction with sand.

I didn't really mention lr rubble or chaeto for a specific instance but for comparison purposes since it's not uncommon to see those in a typical fuge.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LR rubble is larger (for the most part) and you can get more movement through it than the smaller CC. That leaves for less trapped particles, thus less nitrates. Sand is even smaller so it doesn't allow those particles to become a problem.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Real fast guys: what do you think of taking out all of the CC substrait i have now. 100% of it and slowly adding the argonite sand 30-60 lbs at a time? I beleive the calculators are saying that i need to have 210 lbs in the tank for a 4in sand bed. (60"X18"X4")

Thanks,

Obmanta
Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #59
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are game I dont see a problem. Get you a PVC pipe and wash the sand real good and let the sand run down the pipe to the bottom and that will lessen the sand storm.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #60
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I switched my CC for sand. I did about 1/4 of the tank a week and had extra PWC just in case.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com