Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ProClear Pro 75

I bought a new cylinder Pro 75 wet/dry. I have two questions and can not get an answer from anyone at ProClear because no one is ever there except the secretary.

1. The built in skimmer seems impossible to adjust. Sometimes it is foaming over so fast that the aux. overfill cup fills up with water in an hour or two. Other times it produces no foam even if the control valve is removed allowing for maximum air to be blown in. Either way there is always plenty of bubbles swirling in the cylinder, you just can't seem to get it working properly or continually. Any ideas?

2. The overflow box and main drain line gurgle and slup like mad. VERY NOISY. Heck, my Eheim wet/dry never made a sound. How can I reduce the excessive noise?

AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. I don't know about this particular skimmer, but in general it may take a few weeks for a skimmer to break in. It needs to get a good protien coat going in the bubble column. Give it some time before you get too frustrated with it.

2. gurgle and slurp... The water is surging back and forth in the overflow box? There's a recipie for disaster. Is the output submerged? If so, a T and a siphon break may be your solution. Do you have a camera you could take a picture of the overflow box with? I'm not familiar with the model.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The output pipe and anti-siphon hole are both submerged. No problems on that end.

The noise seems to be caused by the fact that the flexible drain hose, which is about 1.5" in diameter can handle much more water than it is receiving through the pre-filter box. Therefore, it gulps water & air down the fat hose and ejects water and pockets of air into the sump. Quite noisy on both ends.

A bigger sump pump may work but I am already using one that is bigger then needed for my 46gal. Actually, it is overrated for a 75gal.

Still haven't received the return call from ProClear, as promised.
AC 300 HOB
Old 08-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
The output pipe and anti-siphon hole are both submerged. No problems on that end.
The anti-siphon hole should be on your return line, to force the pipe to gulp air in a power outage. I'm talking about a siphon break on your drain line, so it can burp/suck air as needed there instead of into the sump or out of the overflow.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

How would you put a siphon break on the drain line?
AC 300 HOB
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If we're only talking about a small amount of air being sucked, you could just drill a hole and silicone in some airline. Run the airline up above your display waterline for safety. If we're talking about a mega-gulp, then a T with a pipe running up (kinda like a snorkel) would work.

In most sump setups, it's easier to just pull the drain tube out of the water, but that wet/dry doesn't look terrably adjustable.

You could also consider replacing the overflow box and drain pipe with something smaller.

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com