ProClear Pro 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new cylinder Pro 75 wet/dry. I have two questions and can not get an answer from anyone at ProClear because no one is ever there except the secretary. :?

1. The built in skimmer seems impossible to adjust. Sometimes it is foaming over so fast that the aux. overfill cup fills up with water in an hour or two. Other times it produces no foam even if the control valve is removed allowing for maximum air to be blown in. Either way there is always plenty of bubbles swirling in the cylinder, you just can't seem to get it working properly or continually. Any ideas?

2. The overflow box and main drain line gurgle and slup like mad. VERY NOISY. Heck, my Eheim wet/dry never made a sound. How can I reduce the excessive noise?

1. I don't know about this particular skimmer, but in general it may take a few weeks for a skimmer to break in. It needs to get a good protien coat going in the bubble column. Give it some time before you get too frustrated with it.

2. gurgle and slurp... The water is surging back and forth in the overflow box? There's a recipie for disaster. Is the output submerged? If so, a T and a siphon break may be your solution. Do you have a camera you could take a picture of the overflow box with? I'm not familiar with the model.

The output pipe and anti-siphon hole are both submerged. No problems on that end.

The noise seems to be caused by the fact that the flexible drain hose, which is about 1.5" in diameter can handle much more water than it is receiving through the pre-filter box. Therefore, it gulps water & air down the fat hose and ejects water and pockets of air into the sump. Quite noisy on both ends.

A bigger sump pump may work but I am already using one that is bigger then needed for my 46gal. Actually, it is overrated for a 75gal.

Still haven't received the return call from ProClear, as promised.

Charlie said:
The output pipe and anti-siphon hole are both submerged. No problems on that end.
The anti-siphon hole should be on your return line, to force the pipe to gulp air in a power outage. I'm talking about a siphon break on your drain line, so it can burp/suck air as needed there instead of into the sump or out of the overflow.

If we're only talking about a small amount of air being sucked, you could just drill a hole and silicone in some airline. Run the airline up above your display waterline for safety. If we're talking about a mega-gulp, then a T with a pipe running up (kinda like a snorkel) would work.

In most sump setups, it's easier to just pull the drain tube out of the water, but that wet/dry doesn't look terrably adjustable.

You could also consider replacing the overflow box and drain pipe with something smaller.

Back
Top Bottom