Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Project: Nano Marine Tank

Hello, I'm new to this site and live in the UK but would appreciate some help with my aquarium.

I've had tropical fish for a while and would now like to move to marine fish, however there is just one problem, I only have a Fluval Edge 46L (12g) tank and I know it's not great having such a small tank starting off a marine but it's all I have.

Any tips on lighting and all the rest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Sent from my SM-G920F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The equipment you'll need really depends on what your plan is for the tank, reef or fowlr? In general you'll want rock and sand (1-1.5 lbs/gal) about 20-30 times the tank size in flow from power heads, and lighting depends on reef or not. You'll also want an ro/di unit (or at least somewhere to buy ro/di water) especially if your going reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #3

Hi BigRedsReef,

Thanks for that, I'm looking to have a Fowlr (with the a clown as the only fish) but would be open to the idea of a reef, but if this is particularly hard I may need to setting for the live rock.

I currently have no marine equipment, and my current light omits 7600K not sure if that would be enough for the live rock to thrive? I think the shop I buy from does sell the ro /di water.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMafi View Post
Hi BigRedsReef,

Thanks for that, I'm looking to have a Fowlr (with the a clown as the only fish) but would be open to the idea of a reef, but if this is particularly hard I may need to setting for the live rock.

I currently have no marine equipment, and my current light omits 7600K not sure if that would be enough for the live rock to thrive? I think the shop I buy from does sell the ro /di water.

reefs aren't hard to run, but they can be expensive and time consuming (but no more so than a high tech planted tank), all you need is a good light a good reef salt mix good flow and good water (ro/di). As for the light that comes with your tank, it won't be strong enough for coral. And the K or kelvin rating is just for the temperature or color the light gives off, it has nothing to do with power. In general you want a good strong light, I prefer led units that use 3w diodes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

Hi, so I've started my tank off with live rock and live sand. However not sure what these critters are called or if they could be harmful to the tank. If you could help me that would eBay great.

Ps I've also noticed an aiptasia on my rock not sure what's the best way to get rid ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468231431617.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	287898   Click image for larger version

Name:	1468231442326.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	287899  

Old 07-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Look like upset zoanthids.
As for the aiptasia, a product like aiptasia-x will work. Some report success with shooting boiling lemon juice or water into their mouths.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #7

Hi sniper hawk, sorry I meant the starfish and orange worm you can see in between the zoanthids? They look upset probably from the stress of moving them from the lfs to the new tank. I'll check on them tonight. Hopefully they have opened.

Tags
marine, nano, project, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com