Project: Nano Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexMafi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new to this site and live in the UK but would appreciate some help with my aquarium.

I've had tropical fish for a while and would now like to move to marine fish, however there is just one problem, I only have a Fluval Edge 46L (12g) tank and I know it's not great having such a small tank starting off a marine but it's all I have.

Any tips on lighting and all the rest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Sent from my SM-G920F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The equipment you'll need really depends on what your plan is for the tank, reef or fowlr? In general you'll want rock and sand (1-1.5 lbs/gal) about 20-30 times the tank size in flow from power heads, and lighting depends on reef or not. You'll also want an ro/di unit (or at least somewhere to buy ro/di water) especially if your going reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi BigRedsReef,

Thanks for that, I'm looking to have a Fowlr (with the a clown as the only fish) but would be open to the idea of a reef, but if this is particularly hard I may need to setting for the live rock.

I currently have no marine equipment, and my current light omits 7600K not sure if that would be enough for the live rock to thrive? I think the shop I buy from does sell the ro /di water.

Hi BigRedsReef,

Thanks for that, I'm looking to have a Fowlr (with the a clown as the only fish) but would be open to the idea of a reef, but if this is particularly hard I may need to setting for the live rock.

I currently have no marine equipment, and my current light omits 7600K not sure if that would be enough for the live rock to thrive? I think the shop I buy from does sell the ro /di water.

reefs aren't hard to run, but they can be expensive and time consuming (but no more so than a high tech planted tank), all you need is a good light a good reef salt mix good flow and good water (ro/di). As for the light that comes with your tank, it won't be strong enough for coral. And the K or kelvin rating is just for the temperature or color the light gives off, it has nothing to do with power. In general you want a good strong light, I prefer led units that use 3w diodes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, so I've started my tank off with live rock and live sand. However not sure what these critters are called or if they could be harmful to the tank. If you could help me that would eBay great.

Ps I've also noticed an aiptasia on my rock not sure what's the best way to get rid ?

Attachments

• 1468231431617.jpg
    1468231431617.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 1468231442326.jpg
    1468231442326.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 105
Look like upset zoanthids.
As for the aiptasia, a product like aiptasia-x will work. Some report success with shooting boiling lemon juice or water into their mouths.

Hi sniper hawk, sorry I meant the starfish and orange worm you can see in between the zoanthids? They look upset probably from the stress of moving them from the lfs to the new tank. I'll check on them tonight. Hopefully they have opened.

Back
Top Bottom