Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Promoting corraline algae on my LR

I have a tank with 380 lbs. of LR. When I first got this rock the colors were much nicer (purple, pink) and as the tank cycled the colors faded. Several of you said that this would be expected and the nicer corraline algae would flourish in time. Well it seems the nuisance algae and hair algae are winning the battle as they are beggining to cover the LR. I still have to add my better lighting to this tank which will have more wattage per gallon. I am afraid this will just promote further nuisance algae growth?? I am wrong about this? How can I get the corraline algae to win the battle? If I add Strontium or some other additive will this help?

Thanks!
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What sort of clean-up crew do you have in the tank?

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
Kent makes products with Calcium and "Corraline Accelerator". Seems to work with my tank. Like your avatar nick....
Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

No clean up crew yet. Any suggestions?

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

about a couple hundred astrea snails will do the trick...add 50 or more blue legged crabs...

doug
Old 02-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are getting nuisance algae, get to the source of the problem instead of trying to cover it up with a "clean up crew." Yes, the cleanup crew will help with algae issues, however, they will not be a cure to the problem.

Excess nutrients in the water column encourage unwanted algae growth. If your tank is still cycling, I wouldn't do a thing (besides turn off the lights) because algal blooms are normal during the cycle. They will eventually burn themselves out.

However, if your tank is finished the cycle, I would test for phosphates. Chances are the phosphates are high (because of a lot of die-off from the rock). You can decrease the phosphates by doing water changes with RO/DI water and using RO/DI water for top off. You may also want to consider using a phospate adsorbing product such as RowaPhos.

Eventually (given proper conditions), coralline algae will begin to develop. With time, it should cover almost everything in the tank. Just be sure to maintain proper calcium and alkalinity levels because coralline is a calcerous algae and lays down calcium carbonate to grow. Also, keep phosphates low as phosphates will inhibit the growth of coralline (as well as corals). Good luck!

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com