Proper lighting times???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get some advice of the proper amount of time to have my lights going. My current set up is a 54g corner tank with 1 Radion LED fixture, currently sitting 1.5 inches above thank elevated on the glass cover (haven't decided on how I am mounting the light yet, from ceiling or build a shelf above to hang). I have the lights on from 11am tom11pm in natural mode of the Radions set at 40%. My current stock list is a fox coral (acquired today) in the lower front corner for indirect light, star polyp, branching torch, watermelon mushroom, pink/beige mushroom, ORA Ric, sympodium polyp, and 2 different species of zoa's.

I thought the 12 hour cycle was moderate, as the intensity was low, but one of the guys at the Lfs said I should be doing 3-4 hours max? Is this right? With the exception of the fox coral, only acquired today, the rest of the stock seem to be doing well and extending/opening nicely in the time I have had the light, only a week. Also, the creatures were all under different LED fixtures at the stores when purchased.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think you're fine at that level. I have a radion over a 60 cube. I have my lights set from 8am to 11pm. My ramp ups are very gradual. They're only at the maximum setting for about 3 hours (75%).

I think maybe the LFS was saying to have them at your max setting (whatever % that would be) for 3-4 hours. I don't really agree to be honest. With proper acclimation, you can keep them on at your max setting for longer.

Thanks Rick! I have the natural mode set at 40% max and a 30% of cloud cover and storms. It's a pretty cool feature and I like it. Just wish you,could replicate the lunar cycle...that would be awesome...

The rep I spoke with at my LFS said they may have an update for that by year's end. Personally I can't wait for their next update when the software will be on a web based platform. Looking forward to updating my lights using my smartphone.

That would be awesome! They're customer service is great, but for the price of the fixtures, it should be :). The indicator light on my brand new fixture was faulty and they sent me a brand new one out same day. The new one is perfect!

Thanks

Nice! Have you tried setting up your own schedule or are you going to stick to natural mode?

Back
Top Bottom