Proper Order To Set Up a New Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredC555

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok... so i am completely new to saltwater tanks.
i just bought a 14 gallon biocube and am setting it up for the first time.

i was an idiot and added my live reef sand substrate first before adding the water and mixing salt. so it was crazy cloudy when i mixed it up (obviously). didn't think that through...
anyway, that was friday night and now it's sunday, but the tank is still cloudy.
it cleared up about 50%, but i'd think it would be totally clear by now.
also, i added some live rocks friday and tried to move them around (now that i could see them!) but as soon as i touched them it got totally cloudy like immediately. i'm afraid to move them around anymore...

is this normal? should i just dump everything and do it again properly, by getting the water set up before adding the sand?
i was told it was good to cycle the sand and a couple rocks along with the water on initial set-up... does it really matter?
should i just go straight water for a week, then add sand and live rocks?

here are a couple pictures of the tank right now:
img_965088_0_972999e824e40868591a4e3db6ff9353.jpg
img_965088_1_8915287be0328f6d21dea26323407c13.jpg

img_965088_2_0ff3b3ab8991b0ddb20f63991c0bd855.jpg
img_965088_3_a2481e464478da3c1ec317cd3b2c2518.jpg

It doesn't really matter how you do the initial set-up. Because you are now working with sand it will get cloudy much easier than any other type of substrate. Give it a week to completely settle and it will also have time to cycle. Patience is crucial. BTW! Welcome, and the tank looks great! Make sure you have the warranty on the Biocube the ballasts have a tendency to go after about 6 months.

It doesn't really matter how you do the initial set-up. Because you are now working with sand it will get cloudy much easier than any other type of substrate. Give it a week to completely settle and it will also have time to cycle. Patience is crucial. BTW! Welcome, and the tank looks great! Make sure you have the warranty on the Biocube the ballasts have a tendency to go after about 6 months.

so i hear! i'm definitely keeping all receipts and warranties for this bad boy... got it all in a little pouch inside the stand.
thanks for the welcome!!!

any advice on what order to start introducing more rocks, coral & fish?
i have 20 lbs. of the live argonite reef sand and 4 lbs. of live rock.
my plan is to wait a week for the cycle , then add another 6 lbs. of live rock... then wait another week and look around a couple specialty fish stores (no Petco or Petsmart!) and buy a couple more small rocks w/ mushrooms & various coral... then buy a couple frags to plug in the gaps in the rocks, add a couple anemones and a feather duster or two.

in about a month, i was planning on buying a couple fish...
in my research, i think i've decided on 2 clowns, a yellow watchmen goby & a shrimp. then maybe a couple snails.
any advice on those? i don't want to add too many...

Cycling is going to take more than a week. Think more on the order of 4-6 weeks - that way you won't be too disappointed. You really want all your live rock in their to start with. If you add more later, it will just cause another cycle unless the rock is fully cured. (Fully cured = $$$). The article section here on the site has several good "how to cycle" articles that will help you out.

It's good to introduce fish first and then wait several months for your water parameters to stabilize before adding corals. A 14g tank is going to be pretty tough to keep an anemone alive in - just because it'll be tough to keep the water clean enough and the lighting just isn't good enough on those cubes. Just giving you a little heads up there.

thanks man... some people have been telling me one week, but i've been seeing more and more saying one month. i guess i should be more patient! :)

thanks for the advice! the anemone was a long shot. i'll probably stick more to shrooms and a couple frags, then letting them grow.

i'm only buying fully cured live rocks. i don't really mind the money... more concerned w/ quality... i'm also staying far away from Petco or any generic store like that. i'd rather deal with a fish specific store that knows what they're doing, than some high school kid just working at a pet store to make a buck.

i guess i should look into adding a couple more rocks while i let it cycle.

thanks again man...

Yeah, sorry. I meant, the sand will take a week to settle and then that could be a week your cycle. I agree, up to 6 weeks for many people for a cycle for sure.

I also agree with 4-6 weeks. Patience is a good thing.

thanks guys. actually, when i woke up this morning, the water was like 90% clear, and now it's looking perfect. i even found what looks like a baby feather duster hiding on one of the rocks!

now i have to go buy another 6-10 lbs. of live rock to add to the collection, so i can let it all cycle together, then... the waiting game. i'll let it sit for at least a month.

my cousin just moved his 2 dogface puffers over from his 55 gallon to a new 130 gallon, before letting the water cycle, and they got ick... they're looking alright now, but he almost lost them!

i'm in no rush... i'd rather do it right...

Yeah, it's so hard not to impulse buy. When I go out I always get nervous it won't be there to buy the following day. Keep us updated with pictures for sure.

updated pictures

Yeah, it's so hard not to impulse buy. When I go out I always get nervous it won't be there to buy the following day. Keep us updated with pictures for sure.

here's new pictures now that the water is clear:
i'm going to buy another 6-10 lbs, of rock tomorrow, then update the pictures.

IMG_4175.JPG
img_966639_1_9c77a5099e84301f15a5c681bb5b5fc5.jpg

img_966639_2_df2d9fac20cb7ee61c5a6e5dd095ff4d.jpg

img_966639_3_111c1063438685d5e73b619605711bfd.jpg

img_966639_4_d5b7192c6b69d5300fed2f1f47d9eacd.jpg

img_966639_5_40e4192a958c65c9e370acc71bd2ff08.jpg

img_966639_6_ffa6e1bfabb94ee7ab756926c0fe8855.jpg

i also just bought a "stealth" 50w heater and a protein skimmer (the oceanic one) gotta hook those up tomorrow w/ the rocks.

thanks man... some people have been telling me one week, but i've been seeing more and more saying one month. i guess i should be more patient! :)

thanks for the advice! the anemone was a long shot. i'll probably stick more to shrooms and a couple frags, then letting them grow.

i'm only buying fully cured live rocks. i don't really mind the money... more concerned w/ quality... i'm also staying far away from Petco or any generic store like that. i'd rather deal with a fish specific store that knows what they're doing, than some high school kid just working at a pet store to make a buck.

i guess i should look into adding a couple more rocks while i let it cycle.

thanks again man...

hey carefull what you say about the people who work at petco

i work at petco and i know atleast in my store to work in the aquarium area you have to know what you are talking about or they move you away from it

but that could just be my store

He wasn't being personal with any one CRB. There are plenty out there at pet stores that have the experience and know what they are talking about. But there are also plenty of people out there who have proven to not know what they are talking about. We are happy you are one that knows what they are talking about.

very true! i've seen a couple stores... but most are not particularly informed.

anyway... i just added another 6 lbs. of live rock.
img_966847_0_28b706e469aab576c9116661a46a0ade.jpg

img_966847_1_aadc21d83d573e55d292d37c662b2025.jpg

img_966847_2_a41ab84597eb4dcb304f5d67c4fb76e4.jpg

i'll update once the water settles.

Back
Top Bottom