Proper size Wet Dry filter for a saltwater FO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jscofield

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55G Saltwater FO tank with an Undergravel filter running 2 - 150 PH a protein skimmer for 100G, and an Emperor 400. I want to replace the Emperor with a Wet Dry filter and have 2 options. 1) buy a Wet Dry with a BIO AREA of 2.4 GAL SUMP GAL of 8.75 rated for 75 gallon tanks or 2) buy a Wet Dry with Capacity 120 gallons and BIO AREA: 3.3 GAL. SUMP GAL: 8.25

If I take option 2 I will have to modify my tank stand to fit it so I would prefer option 1 if you all think it will provide enough filtration. Thanks for your help!

Go with the largest you can fit. So that sounds like option 1. As Richard suggested you should also think about using live rock and a live sand bed for filtration. I would also ditch the UGF.

Thanks for the info. I think I have found another filter which is larger and will fit under my tank the Slimline series by Amiracle. However, I now have been told to just use live rock instead and not worry about the wet/dry? Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom