Proper water movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedukeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gal with small live stock
2 Tube Anemones
1 urchin
1 Finger leather coral
2 clowns
1 Damsel
1 Royal Grama
30 lbs. of Live Rock (adding more) :oops:
30 lbs. of Live Sand (adding more) :oops:

I have one 301 powerhead.
One 550 powerhead.
2 350 Magnum Dual Canister filters.
and a Bac Pack Skimmer. Is that enough?

Whats the GPH rating for these items? Add them up and report the total GPH rate to us.
Should be about 10X your tank volume per hour.

That should be 10x or more of your tank volume per hour.

As you have an established aquarium with a light bio load be sure to cure any significant amount of LR before adding it to your system. If it's not fully cured you will probably see a new cycle start in your tank.

First of all, thanks to both of you.

So let me get this right. Your both saying I should have 1200 gph running in my tank?
I'm going to add a picture of my tank to my gallery because I thought you stole my aquarium and added rock to it :lol: ( cmor's Gallery "My Tank in the daytime")
I just added another powerhead to my system and there doesn't seem to be any dead space. As I cure and add LR I'll probably have to add more flow.
Thanks,
Jason

Your both saying I should have 1200 gph running in my tank?
Or MORE!

My return pump is 720gph; the Hagens at 400gph = 800gph ; 3 MaxiJet 1200's at 295gph each = 885 gph for a total of 2405 gph.

The Hagens are about 2 years old and not putting out anywhere close to 400gph. That's due to lousy maintenance on my part as there is alot of rock in front of them. I probably have about 1800gph in the tank. Makes for a very chaotic flow with few dead spots.

I do have a RIO 1700 that says 1800gph on the side. This thing kicks butt, but it sure seems like too much without a lot of rock? I use this to premix my water and pump it into the tank. It just seems like to much! Thanks,
Jason

Do you have a sump yet?
Once you get more rock you'll see the need for more flow. You want to create a chaotic water flow like the ocean has. It's not coming from any one direction but keeps changing. Like placing poweheads so that they face each other or face them so the point to the same spot on the front glass.

Back
Top Bottom