proper way to mix saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
well my LR comes tomorrow and im going to set everything up, i was wondering when you guys are first starting up your tanks how do you mix your saltwater? do you fill your tank with water then pour in the proper amount of salt and let the powerheads mix it? or do you mix in a bucket then pour in the tank? also i have an RO/DI unit so it wont be tap water and i will be doing a fishless cycle. when i last had a tank i cant seem to remember which way i did it

im doing mine by just adding the water in the tank then adding salt but i didnt have sand or rock in the tank what do you have in your tank right now?

well im waiting for my live rock to come tomorrow so i can put the sand in with the live rocks then add saltwater so i havent done anything yet

i had to restarted my tank and i ordered rock and sand like you did so right now i have my salt water whatever rock i had and power heads in my tank. so its just empty when i get mt sand tommorow ( was supposed to come today) i am going to add it into the water first, then im going to add the rock and aquascape

I did that because thats what i thought would work out best, but i would think adding the sand and rock, then adding ro/di water would drive the organisms in the rock out of the rock

Its good to put the rocks down first, then the sand so things can't burrow in the sand and cause an avalanche. Since I used cured live rock, I mixed my saltwater ahead of time. I didn't want to chance hurting the bacteria in the live rock by dumping freshwater on it, then salt.... That's just me, not sure what everyone else does. Yeah, it was cloudy, but it cleared up in a couple days.

Its good to put the rocks down first, then the sand so things can't burrow in the sand and cause an avalanche. Since I used cured live rock, I mixed my saltwater ahead of time. I didn't want to chance hurting the bacteria in the live rock by dumping freshwater on it, then salt.... That's just me, not sure what everyone else does. Yeah, it was cloudy, but it cleared up in a couple days.

did the rock create dead spots? because that doesent sound like a bad idea right now i have my dry rock outside just waiting 2 be put in

I did mine the same way. I also used a small plate sitting on the sand to start pouring the water on to keep the sand from getting real cloudy. Poured slow at first filling the sand with water and kept pouring on the plate until about half full. Then just poured it in slow from there. Still got cloudy but helped out a bunch.

It was only a 29gal but I think even pumping it onto the plate could help.

That's a good idea I will do that too

Sent from my ADR6300 using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom