Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Proposed fish selection - does this sound ok ?

Hi All,
I've been reading up on the various species available that will be good community fish and safe for inverts and here is a list I came up with :

Scarlet Hawkfish
Orange-Spotted Goby
4-spot Wrasse
Firefish
Eibl's Angel OR Resplendent Angel
Maroon Clownfish (My LFS just got in a beautiful example which they are now holding for me until my tank is ready for it)

Cleaner Shrimp
Blood Shrimp
Coral-Banded Shrimp

Now, I doubt I can get all of these into my 48" 55g FOWLR but how many of them do you think will be ok ? (Of course I'll add them slowly and monitor the water levels and behaviour but ultimately what's your best guess? ) Also - do shrimp add to the bio-load of a tank in the same way as fish ? Are they pretty much equivalent as regards oxygen/space requirements ?

thanks .....

Old 01-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons. I dont think that shrimps add much to the bioload at all. Probably help since they will take care of food that gets away from the fish and what have you. I don't have much experience with coral-banded shrimp, but the one i have has killed a few of my fish; not sure if that is normal though.

HTH

rosstifer

Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Rossv - I've been reading elsewhere that the Coral Banded Shrimp does not play well with the other shrimps I listed although I have not come across any mention of them killing fish ! I think I'll stick with the cleaner and blood shrimps assuming they'll live together ok. I'm glad to hear that they do not add much to the bioload as I'd like to have a lot of varied life in the tank and it seems like I can put in a lot less fish than I would like.
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are lots of neat inverts that won't add to the bio load. Check out liveaquaria.com in the inverts section for a pretty nice selection and a little bit of info on each. I especially like hermit crabs, a nice variety of snails, serpent or brittle star fish, and feather dusters. They will also help keep your tank clean along with giving you more things to look at.

Rosstifer
Old 01-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks rossv. Eventually I guess I'll upgrade my lighting so I can add more interesting species such as anemones etc. Right now I've got a pretty basic hood that came with the tank. It only takes a single 48" tube and I'm running a Coralife 50/50 in it. From what I understand that's fine for a FOWLR tank but not much else. My LFS suggested that light would be sufficient for certain anemones and mushrooms tolerant of low-light conditions but I'm wary of that. Does that sound like reasonable advice or will I definitely have to upgrade my hood and lighting before I can get into anything more exotic along those lines ?
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you might be able to keep certain shrooms but I would wait until you get better lighting. any inverts such as snails, crabs, and such dont need lighting and will keep your tank clean.

Tags
fish selection

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com