Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
these pros/cons and whats better, threads always end up having someone taking soemthing the wrong way and getting offened based on a liking of one thing over another
+++1 thats why i always stay out of them lol

Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdryder7 View Post
so i have a hi-tech fully planted/pressurized c02 tank wich requires weekly water changes /trimming plants and so forth and i wanted to know if it is a lot harder doing a reef tank ???
Change to the Seachem dosing regime and only change your water once a month. High tech doesn't necessary mean you have to be trimming your plants on a weekly basis.

Then buy the reef tank and explore a new aspect of the hobby.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Change to the Seachem dosing regime and only change your water once a month. High tech doesn't necessary mean you have to be trimming your plants on a weekly basis.

Then buy the reef tank and explore a new aspect of the hobby.
sorry should have been more specific lol i do weekly pwc not weekly trimming lol
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
i never really ruled it out, this is a marine/reef section of this community so i gave my pro on marine, and with corals, theres just more color over planted FW. although again i've only seend plants on live aquaria.

i never meant to offend but i should have just stayed out of it as all these pros/cons and whats better, threads always end up having someone taking soemthing the wrong way and getting offened based on a liking of one thing over another.

i apologizeand never intened for an argument
No argument intended here either. I didn't feel bound to the section it was posted in since the post was making a comparison. I love debate and converstion with fellow fish geeks. Sorry if I came off wrong. Which is "better" is an impossible question to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck View Post
+++1 thats why i always stay out of them lol
Jump in! That's the way that we all gain other perspectives and learn. +1s really help nobody.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I agree. The only reason I made the comment that your statement should have 'IMO' in it is because it is exactly that... your opinion. Without saying that, it looks as though it is factual information.

I also agree with HN1 in that it is never going to be a 'sw is better than fw' or the other way around. It's all in what you prefer. I've been told that my planted tank cost the same as what a reef would have, but I just prefer plants over corals. The OP was asking about comparisons, not asking what was better.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol I LOVE ALL OF YOU LOL

thanks for all the info lol

looking foward to those shrimp/kerri HN1 ....just wish i had extra money hidden under my bed lol
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

"Meanwhile back at the ranch...."
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
This is what I have learned from second and third hand experience with saltwater.

Once set up, saltwater and freshwater will cost around the same (metal halides do take up a ton of energy though), although the up front costs for saltwater are generally higher, but with leds, the gap is closing.

Saltwater fish are generally more sensitive, as most of them (don't quote me on this) are still wild caught, so small fluctuations in the system can cause large consequences (moreso than freshwater). Because of this, fish tend to be a lot more expensive, and flakes usually aren't an option

Saltwater is a bit more maintenance than most freshwater, but would be similar to a high tech planted setup: adding salt to r/o and getting the hardness correct as opposed to dosing/measuring ferts in the water and removing limiting nutrients

Color-wise, I would say that saltwater tends to have more colorful fish in general, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor, as there is a ton of colorful FW fish, and in many cases, they can be even more colorful than SW

I tend to like plants more than coral, although one thing I eventually want to try is seahorsies
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like freshwater because it is just what I wanted. Stress free(almost) and relaxing to watch
Plus my kids help me with the hobby and that is priceless.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
No argument intended here either. I didn't feel bound to the section it was posted in since the post was making a comparison. I love debate and converstion with fellow fish geeks. Sorry if I came off wrong. Which is "better" is an impossible question to answer.

Jump in! That's the way that we all gain other perspectives and learn. +1s really help nobody.

lol then you are similar to me, i like to debate even if i agree with someone i'll argue against them. i'm like the devils advocate :P

Tags
freshwater, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com