pro's and cons vs freshwater/saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, sw is alot less forgiving. That's the difference. You can skip water changes for a month on your planted tank and not loose all your plants. But, you do that in sw, and you could loose coral. But planted tanks are great and sw tanks are great. Its just a preference.

G'day.
Just hoping to help op. I keep both a 75 gallon reef and a 30 gallon planted.

My reef gets alot more interest from visitors and my planted gets a glance in comparison.
The cost of the reef is more but I've found once running the reef takes less of my time.
I've also found I spend alot more time staring at my reef and have been contemplating selling my planted and making it marine.

I'd say give it a go. Its very rewarding but research and go back to basics it's hugely different to fw.
Also sumps help alot.

Just my 2c

Get both! It can be a costly addiction but it's safe! LOL!!

That was my solution!! :D As for "colorful" fish, my favorite 2 fish are also my 2 least colorful, they have the best personalities for watching, IMO. They are the panda cory in FW and my lawnmower blenny in my reef.

I just have to give my opinion since I have so many darn tanks and they are mixed between sw and Fw.

IMO, each one has it's benefits. FW, at least for me, is easier. The initial costs werent as high and the maintenance seems much easier. The selection of fish is astounding and usually readily available. I get alot of pleasure watching my cichlids race back and forth in the 6 foot tank. Supplies are usually cheaper too for FW from what I've seen.

Now with my SW tanks, I get alot of satisfaction. It cost more to setup, required more work to get it stable and more maintenance to keep it pristine. I find the selection of fish to be quite good and colorful but you can run into the occasional fish that doesn't eat regular food like mandarins and other dragonets. This doesn't seem to happen much in FW setups from what I've heard.

All said and done, I'm not sure which type of tank I would recommend. I could say try your hand at a nano tank and see if you like it. I was a totally 100% freshwater girl until I actually got a sw tank. Then it was all over for me.

Good luck with your choice, or as said above have both. :-D

Dary421 said:
Ok.., about a million years ago I had this beautiful freshwater tank with all kinds of interesting creatures roaming about., .. I was as proud as a cat with a dead rat on your porch about the whole thing. It was a challenge for me to keep every thing going but I did for a long time...., but when j got the urge to try saltwater that opened a whole new world., an alien world for me., and after experiencing both worlds ., I just love the marine aspect of the hobby so much more.., as stated before it's a impossible question to answer but IMHO if you haven't tried the saltwater side of the hobby you should do so just to see what's on the other side... there's no right nor wrong ., just two sides to the fence

+1
It might cost lots of $$$$ to start, but in the long run It pays off. For me it's less maintenance ......my Aquarium takes care of it's self,I do water changes every two weeks some times three weeks.

Plants= sit there and grow, more like my grand mothers garden just underwater :-/

Corals= sit there looking lots more colorful. And brighter and you can feed them and watch them react and grow, it's like plants on steroids lol

So yeah I vote CORALS REEF ;-)

i just want to thank everyone for there input lol im 100% doing a reef tank but cant decide on wich tank to buy either a 40 g cube with stand or a 24 g nano cube ???

i dont know if i want the restrictions of a nano cube ....lighting wise....

bsdryder7 said:
i just want to thank everyone for there input lol im 100% doing a reef tank but cant decide on wich tank to buy either a 40 g cube with stand or a 24 g nano cube ???

i dont know if i want the restrictions of a nano cube ....lighting wise....

..... I'd buy the biggest tank you can,..bigger is better in this case.......enjoy the ride

..... I'd buy the biggest tank you can,..bigger is better in this case.......enjoy the ride

trust me i want to go 150 but im kinda all out of space at the moment .....the big one will have to wait till i buy a house next year lol....

LOL.... sounds like a familiar affliction. Look for a house with a finished fishroom errr basement. ;)

LOL.... sounds like a familiar affliction. Look for a house with a finished fishroom errr basement. ;)

lol i know i could find room lol....i would just have to re-arrange the living room hahaha but the wife said keep dreaming haha.....

Here's a couple of rules I like to live by when starting a SW Tank:
1- RO/DI unit ... Before anything.
1- skimmer......make it double the tank intake.
Everything else comes after :)

Because if your water ain't right from the beginning then your Screwed.
And the skimmer is the hart of your filtration.
Then everything else can fa in place,

Think good about the tank you want when it comes to size ... Long,tall,cube,big,small cause then you limit your self to the type of inhabitants that you can put in. Enjoy lol

Back
Top Bottom