pro's and cons vs freshwater/saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have a hi-tech fully planted/pressurized c02 tank wich requires weekly water changes /trimming plants and so forth and i wanted to know if it is a lot harder doing a reef tank ???

i hear from people that it is way harder /more money

any help from you folks would be great cause i have always like sltwater but heard bad reviews so i started my freswater WICH I LOVE

THIS DISCUSSION WILL LEAD ME TO BUY A 150 REEF OR A 150 PLANTED DISCUSS TANK LOL

Without knowing exact costs... here's what, IMO, you'll need to compare

SW:
Salt, required testing equipment, required lighting, livestock cost

FW:
co2 equipment, livestock/plants

In the end, I think you'll come out cheaper with a planted tank... plants are a whole lot cheaper than corals and even with the co2 addition, I think it would still be cheaper than salt.

I think the reef setup would be one heck of a lot more money to setup and maintain,....but the challenge and the satisfaction of knowing that YOU did it would far outweigh the expense ,.......if money is the main issue than maybe freshwater would be the way to go, but if it isn't then ( IMO) challenge yourself with a reef setup,.....

saltwater has more color and nicer looking fish to it then freshwater. although soem freshwater fish have alot of color to them thye still have a fishy look, where as saltwater fish can come in multi color and of different shapes and sizes, with wonderful swim patterns.

for fish only i think that salwater is more expensive, but when you get into planted and reef systems it may be a different story

Mike summed it up well. Also the attention to the preparation of water is a big difference. You need to be prepared with RO top off water as well as PWC water. Add to that controllers or frequent testing and necessary additives (depending on livestock element consumption) and a reef tank quickly becomes more expensive and intensive. Planted tanks can get complex, but a reef tank done right demands the utmost attention IME.

Gti... There is as much color in FW as SW if one looks. Gorgeous juvenile damsels grow up into ugly mean fish. All about the eye of the beholder.

Mike summed it up well. Also the attention to the preparation of water is a big difference. You need to be prepared with RO top off water as well as PWC water. Add to that controllers or frequent testing and necessary additives (depending on livestock element consumption) and a reef tank quickly becomes more expensive and intensive. Planted tanks can get complex, but a reef tank done right demands the utmost attention IME.

Gti... There is as much color in FW as SW if one looks. Gorgeous juvenile damsels grow up into ugly mean fish. All about the eye of the beholder.

I agree.....don't forget that they don't give away all that "live rock" away at the lfs either,...the cost for the salt and the corals alone can run up the credit card bills,..the sump and extra pumps needed might also be considered, lighting is a real biggie,...but ,..it's a challenge that we all love to undertake,...good luck in which ever direction you take.

the only really colorful FW fish are cichlids and they all look the same, very fish looking. sure damsels are one fish, but there are tons of other marine fish, and all full of color and don't all have the same basic shape where as marine fish are pretty differnt in shapes and not so scaley. plus when you add corals thats it, SW blows FW out of the water with color

the only really colorful FW fish are cichlids and they all look the same, very fish looking. sure damsels are one fish, but there are tons of other marine fish, and all full of color and don't all have the same basic shape where as marine fish are pretty differnt in shapes and not so scaley. plus when you add corals thats it, SW blows FW out of the water with color
I think that statement should include 3 more letters... 'IMO'.

I prefer 4. If you say so.

Marine definitely offers more possible variety for the LFS shopper, but it WILL cost more and limit your stocking. You say "only one really colorful FW fish are cichlids". You do realize that is as ignorant as saying the only FW fish are from Petsmart, right? You need to do a bit more research and maybe gain a bit of experience before you make such broad ranging statements. There are cichlids and other colorful fish (google rainbowfish) that aren't gonna be seen at your Summer job.

Saltwater would be a more expensive way but it's not much different than a planted think about it in a planted u must add ferts u must add ferts to reefs the salt mixing is more work and ro top off could be used for both and discus if u don't have soft water do best in it so ro for that with a mix of tap to add nutrients back so really it all depends on how much money you have

Reactions: HN1
I prefer 4. If you say so.

Marine definitely offers more possible variety for the LFS shopper, but it WILL cost more and limit your stocking. You say "only one really colorful FW fish are cichlids". You do realize that is as ignorant as saying the only FW fish are from Petsmart, right? You need to do a bit more research and maybe gain a bit of experience before you make such broad ranging statements. There are cichlids and other colorful fish (google rainbowfish) that aren't gonna be seen at your Summer job.

been on live aquaria, its kind of my favorite sit lately lol i've seen rainbowfish.

as for the summer job thing. you do realize i'm a lisenced electrician and have already graduated college, right? or did you make a broad generalization (as you said i did) and centered me out as still a teen based on others on this website?

if you have the paitence a nano reef could be wonderful and not break the bank

i have been thinking about that also since it would be some time before i could buy a big tank...... what is considered nano

lol I LOVE THE COLORS IN MY PLANTED TANK.......i think i want to try something new thats all i wasnt asking whats better/not.... i was was just looking for advise from maybe someone who has done both fresh/salt

been on live aquaria, its kind of my favorite sit lately lol i've seen rainbowfish.

as for the summer job thing. you do realize i'm a lisenced electrician and have already graduated college, right? or did you make a broad generalization (as you said i did) and centered me out as still a teen based on others on this website?

LA is a good starting point, but there is much more out there. So much more.

I did not realize that. I failed. I'm *licensed for nothing. I made a bad generalization, but will defend it in this case and don't really see where that is relevant. The possibilities are endless.... either way, reef or discus... in that size tank to rule out either without knowledge of the both is wrong. jmho.

bsdryder7 said:
i have been thinking about that also since it would be some time before i could buy a big tank...... what is considered nano

lol I LOVE THE COLORS IN MY PLANTED TANK.......i think i want to try something new thats all i wasnt asking whats better/not.... i was was just looking for advise from maybe someone who has done both fresh/salt

i just set up a nano and after i get money im upgrading lights and its gonna be a reef nanos are fun id gladly help you

i never really ruled it out, this is a marine/reef section of this community so i gave my pro on marine, and with corals, theres just more color over planted FW. although again i've only seend plants on live aquaria.

i never meant to offend but i should have just stayed out of it as all these pros/cons and whats better, threads always end up having someone taking soemthing the wrong way and getting offened based on a liking of one thing over another.

i apologizeand never intened for an argument

Back
Top Bottom