Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pro's and cons vs freshwater/saltwater

so i have a hi-tech fully planted/pressurized c02 tank wich requires weekly water changes /trimming plants and so forth and i wanted to know if it is a lot harder doing a reef tank ???

i hear from people that it is way harder /more money

any help from you folks would be great cause i have always like sltwater but heard bad reviews so i started my freswater WICH I LOVE

THIS DISCUSSION WILL LEAD ME TO BUY A 150 REEF OR A 150 PLANTED DISCUSS TANK LOL

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Without knowing exact costs... here's what, IMO, you'll need to compare

SW:
Salt, required testing equipment, required lighting, livestock cost

FW:
co2 equipment, livestock/plants

In the end, I think you'll come out cheaper with a planted tank... plants are a whole lot cheaper than corals and even with the co2 addition, I think it would still be cheaper than salt.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think the reef setup would be one heck of a lot more money to setup and maintain,....but the challenge and the satisfaction of knowing that YOU did it would far outweigh the expense ,.......if money is the main issue than maybe freshwater would be the way to go, but if it isn't then ( IMO) challenge yourself with a reef setup,.....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO about the same price and maintenance-wise, especially with a high-light high-tech
Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

saltwater has more color and nicer looking fish to it then freshwater. although soem freshwater fish have alot of color to them thye still have a fishy look, where as saltwater fish can come in multi color and of different shapes and sizes, with wonderful swim patterns.

for fish only i think that salwater is more expensive, but when you get into planted and reef systems it may be a different story
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mike summed it up well. Also the attention to the preparation of water is a big difference. You need to be prepared with RO top off water as well as PWC water. Add to that controllers or frequent testing and necessary additives (depending on livestock element consumption) and a reef tank quickly becomes more expensive and intensive. Planted tanks can get complex, but a reef tank done right demands the utmost attention IME.

Gti... There is as much color in FW as SW if one looks. Gorgeous juvenile damsels grow up into ugly mean fish. All about the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah... *Discus.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Mike summed it up well. Also the attention to the preparation of water is a big difference. You need to be prepared with RO top off water as well as PWC water. Add to that controllers or frequent testing and necessary additives (depending on livestock element consumption) and a reef tank quickly becomes more expensive and intensive. Planted tanks can get complex, but a reef tank done right demands the utmost attention IME.

Gti... There is as much color in FW as SW if one looks. Gorgeous juvenile damsels grow up into ugly mean fish. All about the eye of the beholder.
I agree.....don't forget that they don't give away all that "live rock" away at the lfs either,...the cost for the salt and the corals alone can run up the credit card bills,..the sump and extra pumps needed might also be considered, lighting is a real biggie,...but ,..it's a challenge that we all love to undertake,...good luck in which ever direction you take.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

the only really colorful FW fish are cichlids and they all look the same, very fish looking. sure damsels are one fish, but there are tons of other marine fish, and all full of color and don't all have the same basic shape where as marine fish are pretty differnt in shapes and not so scaley. plus when you add corals thats it, SW blows FW out of the water with color
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
the only really colorful FW fish are cichlids and they all look the same, very fish looking. sure damsels are one fish, but there are tons of other marine fish, and all full of color and don't all have the same basic shape where as marine fish are pretty differnt in shapes and not so scaley. plus when you add corals thats it, SW blows FW out of the water with color
I think that statement should include 3 more letters... 'IMO'.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com