pros/cons of keeping sponge block in wet dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

I've had my sponge block out of my wet dry for over 2 months having moved it into my QT as a bio filter I was planning on replacing the block, but now am wondering if it's really needed? The tank seems to have been fine without it.

My plans are to start removing my bio balls every two weeks with my PWCs. So with the balls gone, i'm thinking I can deep six the block and filter pad that sits atop the balls. I'll keep the overflow tube sponges though.

Good idea?

Spin

if you think the water quality is fine without the sponge i don't see a problem with removing it. You said you'd keep the sponges on the overflow so you still have that physical filtration going. I do believe in having some kind of physical filter though. i keep a poly filter on my sump to filter out dust(sand is still sort of new) and other larger particles. Plus, I placed it where it keeps my chaeto from getting into the return pump partition.

I'm thinking you'll be fine without it though. If it doesn't work out, you can always put it back. I don't see there being any immediate threat to your fish by removing it.

I think the only purpose for it anyway is for housing bacteria and as a block to keep trash from going to pump. Why dont you replace the balls with LR rubble

" Why dont you replace the balls with LR rubble?"

I asked this question myself in a past thread and the consensus was LR rubble doesn't buy you anything. Per Steve S, it would be better to add LR in the main. I think it is to do with concentrating the bio flitration in one area as opposed to having bio filters all over your system.

Spin

I replaced my bioballs with LR and am glad I did. I am not familiar with the thread you are referring to with steve-s but am guessing it has more to do with the bacteria being located close together as it benefits from each other, I have a SB and a fuge next the the LR rumble in the wet/dry.

I found that without the sponge I ended up with microbubbles in my tank. I had to put the sponge back in.

Adding more LR to the main is a great option if you have the room. Putting LR rubble in the sump or wet/dry is also a great option if you keep it submerged.

Thats what I had to do to use it as a block to keep stuff from going to the return area. I`m getting ready to replace my bio balls with LR rubble in my refuge. I did not see that thread from Steve S but he is the man.

Back
Top Bottom