Protein or Skimmer or Filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richie6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36g bow front tank that has been running for a bit over a month. Looking to add corals in the future and want to know what the best option of a skimmer, refugium, or a filter to use. I understand that the Live Rock and Live Sand will acted as the filtration. I'm understanding that remove the HOB filter and get a skimmer or a refugium?

Right now I have a HOB filter that came with the tank kit when purchased, 25lbs live rock with 15lbs curing (hopefully add in a few weeks), and 15lbs of live sand.

So much info online that points what to get or use, but lost....

Do you have a sump? For a tank that size while a skimmers not necessary it is definitely beneficial.

The hob filter is fine right now but can trap detritus over time so it needs frequent cleanings. You also wouldn't believe how much junk it can pull out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a sump? For a tank that size while a skimmers not necessary it is definitely beneficial.
No sump. So should I run a Skimmer and a HOB Filter? Or just a Skimmer??

Without a sump I would run the HOB. I don't think it's completely necessary but like Bribo said it can pull a lot out of the water for you. Plus you could turn it into a refugium. Sumps are nice because they hide the equipment and depending on design can take over for HOB equipment. Without a sump I would get the equipment I'd normally put in it in either HOB form or stand alone that I could put in the stand or beside it.

I will run a Skimmer and HOB Filter, Thanx!

Any recommendations on which skimmer to get?

I like the CPR hang-on back skimmers. I have one on my son's 60g and it pulls all sorts of gunk out.

I agree with The Todd. I run a CPR bakpak, and love it. At first after running just an HOB, it took out a ton of yuk. Then after about the only time it would skim much is just after feeding.

I have an instant ocean sea clone 100 protein skimmer that I got from petco for 119 bucks. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom