Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a protein skimmer.
I was wondering how long it takes till it starts collecting crap?
Also, do I leave it running all the time?

There is a break-in period I bought a aquamedicTurboflotor multi it kept overflowing a really watery thin foam that overflowed out of the cup. I put it in a tub of saltwater that I was cycling some new Liverock in for a week to help with the break in period. I then cut the tubing between the pump and the skimmer and put a ball valve in to slow the flow so it wouldn't overflow. I removed the ball valve after 2more weeks.

It generally takes a few days to a week or even slightly longer till the break-in period is over. You should let it run 24/7.

What is the make and model of the skimmer you have?

I agree with the other guys here. Let us know what kind of skimmer it is chances are someone on here has the same skimmer and can give you some personal experience.

It is a ODYSSEA AQUARIUM VENTURI that I bought off of ebay on the cheap.
It is now working but the thing is incredibly loud.
It sucks that I bought it because my tank is in my bedroom and I cant sleep w/ it on at night.
I can barely fall asleep w/ my Emperor 400.

My new question would be about the
Bak-Pak 2

The Bak-Pak 2 Protien Skimmer & Bio-Filter

I've heard it was good but is it quite?

If it is really loud then something is not quite right with it. Probably pulling too much air. You should be able to adjust the amount of air going into the ventrui.

Look at an Aqua-C Remora. They are very good skimmers. I wouldn't buy anything that has bio-balls or floss in it.

If it is really loud then something is not quite right with it. Probably pulling too much air. You should be able to adjust the amount of air going into the ventrui.

Look at an Aqua-C Remora. They are very good skimmers. I wouldn't buy anything that has bio-balls or floss in it.

When I turn down the air intake I don't get foam.
Why no on the Bak-Pak2?
I've seen other Mods on this site suggest it...just wondering.

Personal choice...If I were to spend the money on a HOB skimmer it would be the Aqua-C Remora. They have an outstanding record.

During a break in period how do you set the skimmer? i have an adjustable skimmer, a coralife one i think but it has never worked quite right. Im wondering if it never really broke in.

During a break in period how do you set the skimmer? i have an adjustable skimmer, a coralife one i think but it has never worked quite right. Im wondering if it never really broke in.

It's adjustable with the air intake and then how much water it returns.
As far as describing the air intake I couldn't do but I have the return full open.
It's starting to work now but the foam doesn't stay at the top. It's constantly rising and falling. Plus it's crazy loud.

Let me ask you guys something since we are on the subject of skimmers. I don't have a lot of room Hight wise under my tank. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a good preforming skimmer that is not that Tall. I need to take measurements when I get home so I can let you know just what I am working with. But It is a 110g tank.

Back
Top Bottom