Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EriksFish315

Aquarium Advice Addict
Reccomendations on a protein skimmer for a 55g. Do not have a sump and was leaning towards the hob type and was wondering if anyone's had experience with them and which one would you reccomend.

It's only 10" wide Underneath was thinking mayb if I could somehow reinforce the underneath side and open it up more idkk.

I had the same problem with my tank. It wouldn't fit in the bottom. Its easier to have the HOT protein skimmer.

Are they good I've heard mixed reviews about hob? A 10g is still wider then 10 inches lol should have had a stand custom built but I rushed into buying. I do planon running this tank for a year or two for experience in the saltwater hobby the later down the road upgrade to a large tank of some sort.

I say get a hanging one that is a hanging/sump so you can use it down the road if you want as a back up.

I have the reef octopus bh-1000, which i think is the model below the one ur looking at. I have the same problem with my 55, it's too narrow to fit anything underneath. The skimmer works great, the only problem I've had is there are almost no instructions for it, the ones that come with it are extremely vague. I have had problems with the water level in the skimmer, when I top up my tank it occasionally starts overflowing. But that is easily solved by making sure the blue sponge isnt pushed down to far. Over all it's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom