Protein skimmer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredyyanez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do. I need a protein skimmer and a filter for a saltwater reef system .?

Hi, sortof depends on a couple things..how big the tank is, if its a reef, the types of corals you keep, your maintanence..etc :)

It's a 55 gallon , and e's it will be a reef. I'm just getting started. All the stuff I'm using are in another thread , I'll put the link right up.

I can't post the link. It's called 55 gallons build , would really appreciate your help :)

Gboy66 said:
Hi, sortof depends on a couple things..how big the tank is, if its a reef, the types of corals you keep, your maintanence..etc :)

I'd say this ^^^^ pretty much sums it up. Just to go a tad further then my buddy here and I'm not sure if this will help but it might give you an idea. Most that have 30 gallons or up run a skimmer and filter. A lot of people with bio cubes 29 and under don't run a skimmer but use some sort of filtration system. I hope that makes sense. I know people that have 10 gallon saltwater tanks and use a filter like the aquaclear 70 or 110 depending on there needs BUT don't run a skimmer. Then you have someone like myself with a bio cube 29 that run a skimmer and the cube already comes with a filtration system that I've upgraded. So... just like Gboy said it really depends on your tank,your stock and your needs.

Good luck

Fredyyanez said:
I can't post the link. It's called 55 gallons build , would really appreciate your help :)

I'd say in a 55 gallon you would want to run a filter and a skimmer. I'm sure some more knowledgeable members will chime in but I think a skimmer and filter on a 55 gallon would be the way to go. Are you going reef or fish only with live rock (FOWLR)

Convict2161 said:
I'd say this ^^^^ pretty much sums it up. Just to go a tad further then my buddy here and I'm not sure if this will help but it might give you an idea. Most that have 30 gallons or up run a skimmer and filter. A lot of people with bio cubes 29 and under don't run a skimmer but use some sort of filtration system. I hope that makes sense. I know people that have 10 gallon saltwater tanks and use a filter like the aquaclear 70 or 110 depending on there needs BUT don't run a skimmer. Then you have someone like myself with a bio cube 29 that run a skimmer and the cube already comes with a filtration system that I've upgraded. So... just like Gboy said it really depends on your tank,your stock and your needs.

Good luck

Well said dino!

For you and your 55, i would say yes, use a skimmer. How good it should be depends on the things above, but i would definitly use one.

I did chek out the other thread, and i would drop the uv sterelizer and just upgradethe filtration and skimmer:)

Thanks you very much, for the filters they are rated for 80 gallons , is one enough or should I get 2 ?
I don't want external filtration , no sump , so I don't know what good filter(s)
to get

Fredyyanez said:
Thanks you very much, for the filters they are rated for 80 gallons , is one enough or should I get 2 ?
I don't want external filtration , no sump , so I don't know what good filter(s)
to get

Sounds good! I would get 1 and get a better skimmer. If i were you i would opt for the AquaClear 110 on a 55 and the skimmer. Nicer filters in my opinion. Look around on Amazon for some deals!:)

That filter seems to work very well. What about a good protein skimmer ? Should I get the one in the post or another one ? ( I'm an a budget)

Fredyyanez said:
That filter seems to work very well. What about a good protein skimmer ? Should I get the one in the post or another one ? ( I'm an a budget)

Yeah i have heard good things about it.

For the skimmer, i honestly dont know enough about them to give some good suggestions:/ I know there are many good reef octopus skimmers, and Bak-Pack skimmers available. Hopefully someone chimes in that can help!!

Ha, oh i am always on a budget! I know the feeling!

Thanks guys ...
Look what I just got !

Attachments

• image-661869653.jpg
    image-661869653.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 55
Really pump. But the sad thing is that I'm buying stuff little by little so I'm ganna have to cycle like in 2 months.
What exactly do I need to start cycling ?

shady3210 said:
Water, rock, flow, source of ammonia and patience!

Haha pretty much it! You can throw in some fish food or an uncooked shrimp in a net as a source of ammonia. I'd have the filter running to start breeding your BB. You don't need lights while your cycling. And yea... Lots and lots of patience.

I haven't got the filter or the protein skimmer , so I guess I have to wait and get that.

I haven't got the filter or the protein skimmer , so I guess I have to wait and get that.

You don't really need either to start your cycle up. A tank filled with water sand and rock with a powerhead in it is fine to start with. Remember the rock is most of your biological filtration and the skimmer is just used to get the product of the cycle out ie nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom