Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datreeferman

Aquarium Advice Activist
This will be my first post on this website,:) I had my fish tank set up since the beginning of May and fully finished cycling it at the end of June. I had a candy cane coral for a while now so 2 days ago I decided to get more coral. Xenia,mushrooms, and Kenya tree. They're all frags. I was wondering do I really need a protein skimmer for these simple soft corals? Or will I be fine without ever having one? Also What is its purpose?

Candy cane corals are LPS, not soft corals, but pretty easy just the same. If you can keep the water clean enough without a skimmer, then you don't need one.
Xenia, mushrooms, and kenya trees don't need the water to be that clean anyway, but you don't want crazy high nitrates either. Just do weekly partial water changes to replace trace elements and remove waste, reasonable feeding, and a reasonable bio load and you should be fine.
Welcome by the way.

Thank u for the help:) I'm glad I don't have to buy one, they're pretty expensive. I might buy one when I get to more advanced corals.

Back
Top Bottom