protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i just bought a prizm pro protein hob skimmer and it is loud!!! its verry annoying, i was wondering if the aqua c remora is as loud as the prizm.

how long have you had it running? they make alot of noise at first and it should quite down in a bit. but you should have bought the remora in the first place :wink:

i just set it up today.....my i didnt get the remora because the LFS recommended the Prizm. i think its too late to return it though. how long should i wait till the noise dies down and how loud is the remora?

Let me guess, the LFS had Prizm's in stock, but no Remora's?

I'm sorry, but you were taken. The Prizm is almost the worst skimmer out there. It'll skim, but not much. The standard prizm is NOT sufficient for 100gallon tanks like the box claims...rather, it's good up to 40gallons IF the tank is lightly stocked.

It's noisier than a CPR bak-pak, and will never quiet down either. I just hope you scored a great price on it, because CPR's can be found online for $104.

I do strongly suggest you ask us about future purchases. We have nothing to gain by pushing you to one product or another...while the LFS apparently only wants your money. The sad thing is that your skimmer probably can't be returned now, and I'd guess in 6 months you'll upgrade to a better brand like Remora or CPR.

yea im probably going to upgrade in a few months maybe earlier. what websites can i buy the cpr's for a decent price

I too was told that the PRIZM was the best skimmer for me to buy from the LFS. However I haven't had as many problems with it as everyone else has. It does run a little loud for the first little while, but if you connect the air hose up to the air hose port on the underside of the collection cup it totally runs quieter. Took mine about 2 weeks to get dialed in and obviously skimming.

I'm trying to get my running a little bit better (little bit of wet skim) by regulating the amount of air that is mixed with the water. That is the only difference that I can see between the Prizm and a more expensive model, expensive ones regulate air flow, Prizm regulates water flow which inturn regulates air flow. I think that an adjustable hose clamp should do the trick, to limit the amount of air added to the mixture and reduce the wet skim.

Wow, hard to believe any LFS would reccomend a Prizm over a Remora :roll: :cry: Having never used a Prizm myself, I was close to buying one and I was shocked at how many people were having trouble with them. The Remora is pretty much the opposite, nearly everyone that uses a Remora has good things to say about it.

I would stop going to that LFS if you paid over $75 for that Prizm.

Are you currently using that Prizm? If not, box that thing up and put it on ebay! List it as "Local Fish Store's #1 recommended skimmers on the market. Good for up to 100 gallon aquariums! Quiet, will never clog, and will never be undersold... you're set with Prizm... it's your best bet!!"

8O

Scary just thinking it. :wink:

(don't mind me, I talk to myself some times :lol: )

~Rob

try the excalibur (hv1)
getting a ton of stuff out
(almost black skimmate)
and all i have in there are 35 blue legg hermits 6 cerith snails and 4 astrea snails
oh and 1 cleaner shrimp

Well what about the euro-reef cs5-3? It works great but the pump is very loud. I think there is something wrong with it.

lol, i just picked up a red sea berlin airlift skimmer. My tank is cycling and i was told by my LFS to keep the skimmer off for the first month because it was skimming out important bacteria... So its off waiting to skim... Man protein STINKS!!!!!!!! I just spray cologne in the tank to make it smell better... Jk.. but anyways was my LFS right about keeping it off for the beggining of a cycle?

Back
Top Bottom