Protein skimmer a must have??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrblue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a free 29 gallon sea clear acrylic tank and a magnum 350 pro-system. I was wondering if I really need a protein skimmer in a reef tank setup? If so, what's a recommended skimmer for my setup?

Thanks

Well first off let me say

welcome.gif

Now.

A skimmer is not required. I personally shut my skimmers down a couple months ago and have seen no ill effects. In fact some of the corals might be growing faster than before.

For a begginner I say they are helpful since they will assist in pulling excess DOC out of the water. If DOC's are left in the water they will polute the water and cause additional ammonia.

Oh, btw congrads on your FREE equipment wish I could have gotten it as I need a 29 gal tank to fit a hole in a bar I have.

Where in VA are you? Im in Staunton, Just off I-81 north of roanoke if your not fimular.

If you'll look here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=16 I explain some of the pros and cons of protien skimming. After reading that I'll certainly let you decide whether it is a must have or not. I will say that if you are new to reef keeping and since it is a small tank, a skimmer is recommended. I would probably look into a Red Sea Prism skimmer if I were in your shoes.

Thanks guys for the info.

fishfreek,
NOVA area, Alexandria, about 15 mins from DC.

tanks.

Welcome to our site.

I say "our" cause its a community site. all the members make up this site.

ENJOY :smilecolros:

Back
Top Bottom