Protein skimmer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mstrblstr33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the saltwater hobby and have a quaestion about protein skimmers. I purchased a 125g reef setup from th classified ads. The setup came with a coralife protein skimmer, however I think the pump is bad. Is this something I need to get fixed asap, or can I wait a little while? Right now I have a Green Mandarin, 2 Green Chromis, 2 Engineer Gobies and a cleanup crew. There is about 150lbs of live rock, severa Colt Corals and a Mushroom. There was no substrate in the tank, so I put about. 90 lbs of dry Aragonite and 50 lbs of live Aragonite.
Any advice is appreciated.

Did you buy the tank already set up, or did you buy it, fill it, and put fish in?

First, I hope your tank is cycled. Second, I think the protein skimmer can wait a little while, it isn't an absolute necessity - but it will help out a TON in keeping your parameters in check. I don't know much about the coralife skimmers. Is it an in sump skimmer or HOB?

I wouldn't stress the skimmer just yet. Do you have a water testing kit? With the setup the way it was you might want to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates to make sure all is well and stays well. I just speak from experience. I purchased a 55g all setup and hi nitrates for days and had to do pwc's to get them down before i could have my fish and corals over.

As far as the skimmer, a new pump is quite cheap. Is yours built into the sump or is it a separate piece of equpimnet?

The tank was already established for quite some time before I purchased it. It came with fish and a couple corals. The skimmer is a seperate entity that sits in the sump. The pump that is on it is a Rio 2500, which I priced new at $80 at my lfs. When I purchased the setup there was no substrate in bottom. I wanted dsb so I put about 140lbs of sand in this past weekend.

I would price out some other pumps for that skimmer, you can def get one cheaper than $80.

I'll see what my research can do. :-D

I would HIGHLY and strongly urge you to get your own API saltwater master test kit. In saltwater things can change on a dime and the first thing you'll be asked are what are the parameters.

Thanks for the link...how often do you check your water? I definitely wanted to get my own kit, just haven't got to that point on my list yet. Right now I am setting up to mix my own water 30 gal at a time instead of purchasing it at the lfs.

I tend to test at least once a week, sometimes more. Even with established tanks you need to keep up on it. And if/when the time comes that something goes awry you will want those levels asap and not wait for the lfs.

Good deal with the 30g mixer, I just got a 32g garbage can yesterday so I can fill my 125g. :-D Comes out cheaper in the end as well.

I prefer to check my levels once a week. Some people have identifiers of some sort when there levels may be off. For example some people that have xenia say it becomes droopy and that's when they know. For me I know my levels may be off with the way my fish act, I watch them enough to know if even the slightest thing is wrong.

+1 for carey on not wanting to wait for the LFS because most of the time the LFS is closed when I need water tested. Plus it gives me peace of mind if im just overreacting.

warvillian said:
+1 for carey on not wanting to wait for the LFS because most of the time the LFS is closed when I need water tested. Plus it gives me peace of mind if im just overreacting.

Good point. I definitely understand where you guys are comin from. My lfs closes at 6 mon-sat and closed completely on Sunday. The closest open shop after 6 or on Sunday is 35 miles from here. I will be investing in a test kit soon. Are there any particular brands that you can recommend or are they al about the same?

Well I first started out with API Master test kit which includes PH,Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate testers for a reef tank. I believe there is another type of API master test kit for non reef tanks. Also, over time I had to buy a calcium test kit and a KH Carbonate test kit. The master kit runs about 30-35 dollars and the single kits run about 10-15 dollars each.

Back
Top Bottom