Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Protein skimmer advice

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the saltwater hobby and have a quaestion about protein skimmers. I purchased a 125g reef setup from th classified ads. The setup came with a coralife protein skimmer, however I think the pump is bad. Is this something I need to get fixed asap, or can I wait a little while? Right now I have a Green Mandarin, 2 Green Chromis, 2 Engineer Gobies and a cleanup crew. There is about 150lbs of live rock, severa Colt Corals and a Mushroom. There was no substrate in the tank, so I put about. 90 lbs of dry Aragonite and 50 lbs of live Aragonite.
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you buy the tank already set up, or did you buy it, fill it, and put fish in?

First, I hope your tank is cycled. Second, I think the protein skimmer can wait a little while, it isn't an absolute necessity - but it will help out a TON in keeping your parameters in check. I don't know much about the coralife skimmers. Is it an in sump skimmer or HOB?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't stress the skimmer just yet. Do you have a water testing kit? With the setup the way it was you might want to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates to make sure all is well and stays well. I just speak from experience. I purchased a 55g all setup and hi nitrates for days and had to do pwc's to get them down before i could have my fish and corals over.

As far as the skimmer, a new pump is quite cheap. Is yours built into the sump or is it a separate piece of equpimnet?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank was already established for quite some time before I purchased it. It came with fish and a couple corals. The skimmer is a seperate entity that sits in the sump. The pump that is on it is a Rio 2500, which I priced new at $80 at my lfs. When I purchased the setup there was no substrate in bottom. I wanted dsb so I put about 140lbs of sand in this past weekend.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and I do not have a testing kit, however I have my water tested frequently at the lfs.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would price out some other pumps for that skimmer, you can def get one cheaper than $80.

I'll see what my research can do.

I would HIGHLY and strongly urge you to get your own API saltwater master test kit. In saltwater things can change on a dime and the first thing you'll be asked are what are the parameters.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is a pic of the skimmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110524_111131.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	37765  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the closest I got tho the original pump you mentioned

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...71&pcatid=4671

Price seems about right.

Looks like a decent skimmer btw.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the link...how often do you check your water? I definitely wanted to get my own kit, just haven't got to that point on my list yet. Right now I am setting up to mix my own water 30 gal at a time instead of purchasing it at the lfs.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I tend to test at least once a week, sometimes more. Even with established tanks you need to keep up on it. And if/when the time comes that something goes awry you will want those levels asap and not wait for the lfs.

Good deal with the 30g mixer, I just got a 32g garbage can yesterday so I can fill my 125g. Comes out cheaper in the end as well.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com