Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The difference between t5 and t8 is... T5 lights are smaller in diameter and use less power. Thus allowing for smaller fixtures with more bulbs. As far as lighting goes with a 3 feet deep tank you are going to see some strong lights to penetrate that far. personally I would skipp the t5 lighting and led lights and go with a metal halid lighting system if you are wanting to place corals at the bottom and have any other corals. as far as the specs on light. I would go with a combination on actinic lighting and some type of high k value lights such as 10000k or 14000k. Actinic lighting peaks in the blue spectrum allowing for it to penetrate deeper in the water. 5000-around 10000k peeks in the red spectrum. The higher the k the more blue the light looks. algae and photosynthesis do best under a 6500k light. But for a reef tank that lighting would grow corals fast but give them a ugly color. That is why reef keepers use 10000k to14000k lighting to bring out the color in corals. Any other questions you have?

For t5 lighting I would go with a 12 bulb fixture.
For metal halide I would go with 2 250watt bulbs supplemented with 2 t5 actinic lights.
Led lights I don't know to much on but I would suggest looking for one that has high watt led such as 3 watt led for the main lights.

The cheapest in the long run would be led lights but will take a few years to pay for it's self. Mh are prob your best bet at the moment.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Tom,

Few questions here. . .

1) I scuba dive and diving is figured per atmosphere (every 33 feet) they say the color spectrum that you lose is Red Orange Yellow Ivory Violet; why is it you lose color at such shallow depth in a tank? Something to do with artificial light?

2) Metal Halides run hot don't they? Could save me the cost of heaters (I have 2 from my fresh water tank) but could also cause me to need to buy a chiller right?

3) If I stack live rock up a bit, I can put the corals as shallow as a foot or so can't I?

4) As far as LED's my LFS (Marine Warehouse) suggested http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Capable-Lighting-System-36-48-Inch/dp/B00494JTFU/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1311775430&sr=1-6 which seem to be "reasonably" priced; I just don't know how well/reliable the are.

HELP!!!! haha Thank you

Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As your first question... Yes that is correct. Artificial light is no where near as strong as the real thing. You will still need a heater with mh lighting. As far as a chiller. Eh prob not. If you get a good fixture with fans you will be ok. once again it is really up to you on what you want to spend on lighting. They all do the same thing... Just more expensive depending on witch one. For instance I have a 60gal tank that is 24" deep. I am using as nova extream 8bulb fixture with a ballast out so 6 bulbs. I have Lps and soft corals growing bottom to mid tank. If I were to use mh I would use 1 250 watt mh about 9in above the tank for same lighting.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
As your first question... Yes that is correct. Artificial light is no where near as strong as the real thing. You will still need a heater with mh lighting. As far as a chiller. Eh prob not. If you get a good fixture with fans you will be ok. once again it is really up to you on what you want to spend on lighting. They all do the same thing... Just more expensive depending on witch one. For instance I have a 60gal tank that is 24" deep. I am using as nova extream 8bulb fixture with a ballast out so 6 bulbs. I have Lps and soft corals growing bottom to mid tank. If I were to use mh I would use 1 250 watt mh about 9in above the tank for same lighting.
Thank you for your replies Tom.

How do I know how deep a light will penetrate? That seems to be the deciding factor. I am scouring ebay now to see what the best light I can find is, and trying to figure out how deep the light will penetrat. If my tank is 3 ft deep, and I have rock built up so the corals will be 2ft or less, should help my options I would think.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey np. This might help. T5 lights are for tanks 24" deep and less. Mh lights are for tanks deeper then 24".
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
Hey np. This might help. T5 lights are for tanks 24" deep and less. Mh lights are for tanks deeper then 24".

Thats GREAT info!!!! ty Why don't people just say that? LOL

I been looking the T5 route all along when I guess I should be looking at metal halide
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you guys think any of these would this work for me? My tank is 24" deep

72 " T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood 312 W Coral reef | eBay

2 of the following:
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-156W-AQUARIUM...item5ae1774e2d

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-inch-378-W-T5...item45fc0941d3

2 of the following:
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-...item45fb2e0299

And LED option?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2011-REEF-Ed...item3a6832aa56

Lastly maybe 2 of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-...item588da692ff

I don't know what corals I will have yet; Easier ones for sure; I'm just in preliminaries of research; I like bubbly ones. My corals will also most likely be no deeper than 18 to 20"

Any help here?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Out of all of them I would go with 2 of these

Best bang for your buck. Don't get the other mh lighting fixture. They are junk.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22
Out of all of them I would go with 2 of these

Best bang for your buck. Don't get the other mh lighting fixture. They are junk.
How do these differ from the plethora of other eBay metal halide fixtures? I'm really interested because I'm looking for a lighting fixture for my 36" tank.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ozorowsky, you in tampa?

Tags
light, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com