Protein Skimmer - in sump recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no (as in 2") clearance behind my tank. I have 24" of clearance from my sump to the bottom of the tank frame. So, I need a PS that will fit in the sump. The sump is 9" x 9" and there's a heater in there that's set back about 3" from the front wall and a Rio 2500 pump.

I'm looking at adding a Seaclone 150 or a Sealife NV150 PS. Any thoughts on either of these models or other suggestions given my setup?

My current setup
125 gal FOwLR (2/15/03)
100 lbs aragonite
Acqua Clear 125 trickle filter with bio balls
2 Hagen 802 powerheads
4 - 30w fluorescents (FW30T8-AR-TS)
Rio 2500 pump in sump
300w heater in the sump.
25w Coralife UV sterilizer (connected but not in use)
50 lbs of base rock (Carib Sea Reef Rock 2/21/03)
50 lbs of LR (Tonga 2/21/03)
45 Lbs. LR (Aquacultured Fiji - coming Tuesday)

Cmor

Have you looked at a Red Sea Berlin Classic? It has a baffle to keep the water/air from "cycloning" like in the seaclone which means longer contact time. It has chambers (concentric baffles) that the sealife doesn't have and that also increases contact time in a fairly small package. A shorter skimmer will be easier to get in and out of the sump for cleaning.
Another option to consider.

Will that fit in the sump or do I need to place it outside, but next to the sump?
If's 6" square on the base, I might be able to fit it and the pump in the sump, but it would be tight with the heater in there.

Thanks for advice.

Back
Top Bottom