Protein Skimmer Ineffective, and algae type? New tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello neighbors,

Just put together a 33 gallon tank recently. It's been up and running for about 3 weeks now. It has only a single chunk of live rock, plus a small bag of live sand. I haven't tested the levels yet, but will start to soon.

A couple questions. I bought a used protein skimmer from my local pet store. And it is different from the one pictured on the cover, and also the one inside the instructions. What appears to be missing on my model, is a small venturi hole in between the intake and outtake chambers. The instructions state that regardless of the type of skimming (wet or dry) there should be micro bubbles in the spout that leads to the detritus container. There aren't any on mine...no bubbles at all. I am not sure if this is a result of the lack of debris and such in a new tank, or if in fact there was a "reason" this thing was priced for quick sale. It almost seems like someone did a switcheroo.

So question #1 is...do I need to invest in a new skimmer? If so, any recommendations for one that is for a 33 gallon tank? Given my setup, I'd prefer a hang-on, unless it's a small internal.

img_3087500_0_af129cc20552879574a795d225c87bd4.jpg

img_3087500_1_5320b4c0aac860d71030865f136430e4.jpg

img_3087500_2_0a78b969d7d048831a2045a320754e1f.jpg

Second question. I have some medium green, bright green, and small patches of brown algae starting on my base rock. Any idea what the greens are? I know the brown should go away from what I remember of my last tank...but are the greens a type of coraline algae, or just a type that appears in new tanks then go away?

img_3087500_3_66580dae0a69e4b137070d7e6ce13175.jpg

img_3087500_4_310135ded722a96356e0d13a4726c1a0.jpg

img_3087500_5_8ec70bae4bfa585debb03599382e8d0c.jpg

img_3087500_6_96eeeae430375503ef126f9db1cf629e.jpg

Thanks for the insight in advance!

That tank needs to be cycled, correct? You are going to see lots of different colors and will go through an ugly stage where diatoms cover things up a bit. I wouldn't even be concerned with colors at this point.
That said, i'm not a fan of coralife skimmer, but especially not the 65. Are you saying you don't have a piece of airline tubing connected to the pump? If so, there's your problem, though, I don't think you even need a skimmer for a 33 gallon tank. I would lose the skimmer all together and export nutrients (and replace trace elements) via regular water changes.

I can see in the picture where the airline should be attached! No airline means no bubbles!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can see in the picture where the airline should be attached! No airline means no bubbles!

I know right? So here is a look at the pump/intake that is in the tank:

img_3087574_0_af46b7bf9279404b2c9c1d893ee2befd.jpg

There is no attachment at all for an air hose. The only thing coming out of it is the power cord. Now, the printed instructions did in fact show this model, however, it also clearly shows a small venturi hole/inlet by the intake/outtake pipes, which is non existent on my skimmer.

Makes me wonder what the hell this thing is...

And thanks for the advice on the cycling process...I forgot how much "stuff" shows up in the starting weeks!

It is probably the wrong pump. I would also get that off of the sand bottom. it's going to eventually suck up sand and could damage the impeller.

Also, don't run a skimmer during the cycle. You will want "dirty" water at this point.

Last edited:
It looks like both ends of the micro bubble system are missing. On the pump there should be a screened cone attachment on the intake, to which the air line attaches (see the box pic). The other end, by the top collection cup is simply the muffler. That is where the other end (dry end) attaches and its sole purpose is to reduce air noise. It is the short left tube on the box pic and seems to be missing on your pic.
Those 3 pieces (inlet cone screen, airline, and muffler) are what feed air to the pin wheel in the pump itself.
Good luck in your search.

Thanks guys. I'll turn the skimmer off for now and see if I can shorten the hose.

I'll also see about tracking those parts down.

I'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom