Protein skimmer not creating foam head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think another contributing factor is that the water level line is where the water should stop with the foam above that. It looks like you have it set so the foam is sitting at that line. If you look close at the water and foam in the skimmer you will see a line that seperate a the aerated water from the foam above it, that is the water level you want at the indicated line.

I had it like that for the longest time and nothing happened

Nothing happened because there's no load on the tank. Once you stock it the skimmer will start producing foam and then you can adjust it .

No leave it on anyway. It will still break in even tho there is no load on the tank. Just let it run.

Looks like my skimmer is working correctly thanks guys. Should I do any adjusting here or leave it
qetanany.jpg

a skimmer should still create foam in a low bioload system, it just wont push anything up into the collection cup. ive noticed with mine that the salinity level plays a big part in the reaction inside the skimmer. glad to hear its working!

So it looks the same as yesterday but I don't see bubbles flowing into the collection cup from the videos I've seen bubbles constantly flow is that just me or...

The videos you see are stocked tanks. Your skimmer will skim when you get fish. Be patient :)

A little off topic but when I do get fish should I get more than one or get one and wait and see if it lives

Yes always stock slowly. You can start with 2 depending on the fish

Start with two small fish, clowns perhaps. You want to slowly increase your bioload (for fish that is) so your bacteria colonies can cope with load and grow, to fast and you will not have enough bacteria to consume the fish waste and will see increases in ammonia nitrites and nitrates which will hurt the anything living in the tank (especially ammonia and nitrites). When it comes to inverts and coral you can add a larger amount due to minuscule bioload. I would say the fastest you could safely add fish would be 1 every 2-3 weeks, coral and inverts you could easily add 6-12 every 2-3 weeks depending on size.

I plan on doing a 50% PWC then adding fish so two clowns in 20 ppm is safe? Or should I lower them more

20 isn't going to harm them, but get them down as low as possible now, it's easier to get them lowered before being stocked

Back
Top Bottom