Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Protein skimmer or better pumps?

I have a 94l marine tank, every time I did a water change about 3 days after it I would be getting a dirty tank (stuff on glass, water lookin discoloured). I asked the FS what was wrong an they told me to half the bag of media an replace the carbon with crushed live rock, an it's been ok since. I want to no if I would benefit from having a protein skimmer in there? I have heard mixed reviews? Some say the tank is to small to put one in, an I have heard people say you should always have one. I have also been told that replacing the circulations to a higher output pump is also good for filteration??

Can anyone give me any information
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In that size tank a skimmer is optional in my opinion. As long as you do your weekly water changes you should be fine. But if you want one then theres no down side.

You can change the output pump to a higher gph if you want, I considered it in my 29g biocube but never got around to it. lol

Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What size pump would you recommend? An would this make the filteration of the tank better?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure what size pump you have now, so not too sure how big you can go. It will not help with filtration though, just water circulation. thats why I never did mine, it's not a huge upgrade. lol

You can also achieve the same or better if you add another powerhead like a nano koralia for circulation.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok thanks for the advice. Just want everything to be rite as the tank hasn't been set to long.

I have recently put in a 1000l/h power-head in my tank, would you leave it on 24/7?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, unless it's blowing your fish around then I'd leave it run 24/7.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, pumps, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com