Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Most likely because of all the nutrients left over after the cycle process...sometimes when you use products to remove cyano, as an example, it will also cause a skimmer to overflow like this as well...it took 3-4 days for mine to calm down and adjust. Just open it up as far as you can and wait. When it calms down, slowly begin to adjust it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Patients I guess lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

So last night my wife had to shut skimmer off while I was at work because she said water was overflowing skimmer then leaking out of sump. Today I plugged it back in and finally it was not filling the cup. It ran good for a couple hours like that now my wife txt me and said it was overflowing again. Is this normal during break in and post cycle?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Not really.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Protein skimmer overflowing

Is it possible that you have it sitting in to much water in the sump? Keep in mind that skimmers have recommended water depths to sit in and it the depth is to high you will run to wet of skim. I had a similar issue with mine, spec is 8-10 inches of water. I had it running in about 10 inches and it was good, lowered it to 8 and it ran really wet, raised it to 9 and no issues again. Something to consider as the water depth the skimmer sits in directly effects the water level in the skimmer. You can try using a piece of eggcrate to raise it, that will give you 1/2" per layer. Run it for a few days and see if that helps, if not add another layer. FYI eggcrate is also known as lighting diffuser found in any hardware store, 24"x48" sheet and it's 1/2" squares.

Sorry I have that backwards, was in 8 then lowered it to 10 then raised it to 9.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm just thinking this skimmer is a piece of crap. I have never heard a good word about the mini-g.

Tags
flow, overflow, protein, protein skimmer, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com