Protein skimmer overflowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reisy00

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an ASM protein skimmer that keeps overflowing no matter where I have the position of the tube. I ran it in vinegar for 48 hours no problems. Put it back in sump and overflowing right away. So I took a 5 gallon bucket of water out of tank put my skimmer in that with the same height water in sump. Ran it like that for 24 hours with no problem, water ran high but didn't overflow cup. Just put it back in sump and overflows again. Any ideas?

The ASM mini g only has the water tube on the side no air adjustment unless I'm missing something.

I would say your nutrient levels are high. how long have you let it overflow? I would leave it in the system and run it all the way open for a few days and see if it calms down. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the mini-g :\

I pulled the adjustment tube out of the skimmer now it just barely reaches the tube in collection cup. Should I run it like this for awhile

Just let it run for a while and see if it calms down. Probably a lot of nutrients in the water right now.

Still overflowing today. I'm still letting it run. Just don't get it in the 5gallon bucket it ran good hard to control but wasn't overflowing. Put it my sump and watch the water works lol.

Most likely because of all the nutrients left over after the cycle process...sometimes when you use products to remove cyano, as an example, it will also cause a skimmer to overflow like this as well...it took 3-4 days for mine to calm down and adjust. Just open it up as far as you can and wait. When it calms down, slowly begin to adjust it.

So last night my wife had to shut skimmer off while I was at work because she said water was overflowing skimmer then leaking out of sump. Today I plugged it back in and finally it was not filling the cup. It ran good for a couple hours like that now my wife txt me and said it was overflowing again. Is this normal during break in and post cycle?

Is it possible that you have it sitting in to much water in the sump? Keep in mind that skimmers have recommended water depths to sit in and it the depth is to high you will run to wet of skim. I had a similar issue with mine, spec is 8-10 inches of water. I had it running in about 10 inches and it was good, lowered it to 8 and it ran really wet, raised it to 9 and no issues again. Something to consider as the water depth the skimmer sits in directly effects the water level in the skimmer. You can try using a piece of eggcrate to raise it, that will give you 1/2" per layer. Run it for a few days and see if that helps, if not add another layer. FYI eggcrate is also known as lighting diffuser found in any hardware store, 24"x48" sheet and it's 1/2" squares.

Sorry I have that backwards, was in 8 then lowered it to 10 then raised it to 9.

Back
Top Bottom