protein skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK i have an amiracle protein skimmer with a maxijet 1200 powerhead running it. The powerhead is way to strong for the skimmer. So my question is will it be ok to not run the skimmer until i can get a smaller powerhead? If not what can i do to temperarily slow the powerhead down to a managable GPH?

Why is it too powerful?? What is it doing?

Yes it will be OK for a day or so without a skimmer, but depending on your feeding habits, etc...you may have a small algae bloom.

You can put a gate valve on the outlet from the powerhead and adjust the flow rate as needed... I have a powerhead that is slightly to powerful for my skimmer, the valve has allowed me to turn the flowrate down slightly and now it works a treat... Only a couple of dollars from any hardware store. :)

The reason i say it is too powerful is because it keeps the water level inside the skimmer higher than the waterline. The directions say not to let it get any higher than the water line.

Back
Top Bottom