Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Protein Skimmer Suggestion

I know have my sump. I need a protein skimmer to go in it so that I don't have to have my bakpac on there forever. Take a look at this on ebay and tell me what you think in terms of the quality of the skimmer. I looked around and wasn't able to find any information on it.

ebay item

I'm pretty sure the price is good. I've seen weaker PHs sell for more at the LFS. Thus, the PH by itself might be worth it. :P[/url]

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Looks like a seaclone clone.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is that good/bad?

Do you have any suggestions on what to look for in a protein skimmer for a 42 gallon tank in a sump? (Brand, style, features, etc.)

Also, could you fill me in on the different types of skimmers? I've heard of venturi, "turbo" (which might be a brand name, I don't know), and probably a couple others I can't remember.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 08-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would look into the AquaC Urchin Pro or the Euroreef ES5-2. They are similarly priced and are both excellent, reliable and easy to use skimmers. They will also handle a larger tank if you decide to upgrade later down the road.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anything in particular that makes them good? The more I read, the more I think there's a lot about skimmers that I don't know. The different types of skimmers I keep seeing are confusing. :p

Old 08-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would get a Euro-reef. Very wide. Very expensive though, but most good things are in this hobby.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not looking to spend an enormous amount of money. I don't even have a reef tank. I'm just looking for something that will get the job done in a reliable fashion. Good is acceptable, best is purely optional. Maybe it would be equally helpful if you said what NOT to get.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Pacu Man Send a message via AIM to Pacu Man
I gotta seaclone protein skimmer and it works very well, and it was the cheaper brand out of the selection
Old 08-01-2003, 06:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR294
I would look into the AquaC Urchin Pro or the Euroreef ES5-2. They are similarly priced and are both excellent, reliable and easy to use skimmers. They will also handle a larger tank if you decide to upgrade later down the road.
Agreed, both excellent skimmers.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ya juz got the seaclone skimmer ... very impressive with the outcome within one day you will see it skim out the waste..
Only problem when you gotta place it in a sump cause the water coming out from the skimmer is too high up ... I using a seaclone 150 ..

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com