protein skimmer/sump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnr911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my husband bought me a used Aqueon Mega Flow Model 3 sump today for my 1st SW tank. He even had it all plumbed by the time I got home! The only thing is our LFS told him that I would not be able to use my in sump protein skimmer with it and I would have to purchase a HOB skimmer. He said that the protein skimmer need to go where the water entered the sump (very small area) and not in the refugium part. I wanted to do a sump to have a refugium which is what my hubby told our LFS and that is how he ended up with the megaflow. Can I use my in sump skimmer or do I really have to buy a HOB?

If I can use it, can I build a platform or something to keep it in the refugium chamber or will this not work?

You really dont want the skimmer in with the refugium, it will eat up helpful critters. :-(

Yeah, I looked at those sumps too and decided against it for the reason you have the issue now.

There are some really great hang on skimmers though so dont think you will be at a disadvantage.

Thanks Carey. I do like the design of the sump just wish I could use it with my skimmer :( Any suggestions on a good HOB?

check out reef octopus ones, they come highly reccommended. :)

What size is the tank btw?

I love my remora pro on my 40g tank, but some people hate em. lol I alos like the eshopps skimmers too.....good price point and decent performance

It's a 75 gal. It's my 1st attempt at a reef tank. :ermm: It's so exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. I have been doing tons of research and just when I don't think I can read another article, I research some more. I'm already addicted before I even start :)

I know the feeling lol

I would take a look at some reviews and if you find a skimmer that you think would work just post and someone who has one or had one will be sure to respond. :)

At that size and if its a reef to be a skimmer is a MUST. The best advice is to find a good one, dont skimp out on the skimmer as it is probably one of the most important things you can buy next to lights and using ro/di water.
I've found when you skimp and try to save a few bucks you end up buying the same piece of equipment twice and it just doubles the cost.

But yeah, reef octopus is a good place to start. I use marine depot.com to search for stuff as they have alot of reviews and give detailed info about the skimmers such as size and recommended tank sizes.
You are looking for something that skims at least 100g,preferable 150g if you can...always good to go 50% higher in rating as manufacturers tend to over rate their skimmers. lol

Thank you for all of your advice. It's nice to know that people are willing to help us newbies. On to more research I guess:banghead:... for a new protein skimmer!

Research is one of the best things to me about aquaria. You may think you know the answer but there is soo much to learn! I have been avidly researching fish and equipment for years and it never gets old. lol

Good luck!! And hope to see some pictures of your setup when you get her up and running.

You really dont want the skimmer in with the refugium, it will eat up helpful critters. :-(

I love reading Carey's post and seeing all her pics. She know tons About all things aquaria. But I will have to disagree with her on this one point.

I have a 2 section sump with my skimmer, reactor pump, chaeto and rock rubble all in the first section. I have all sorts of pods living right on my 2 pumps and my refugium section is full of them. I have always checked for any signs of pods in my skimmer cup and never seen any. The skimmer pump and reactor pump are not a threat to these helpful little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Research is a great thing. I spend a lot of time researching everything I do. My 4 boys love seeing all the cool pics lol.

I love a healthy debate... so now I am searching HOB protein skimmers, while in the meantime I am going to try my in sump one in the refugium while I am cycling the tank. Right now I don't even have any beneficial critters that I know of.

I have a tank, a sump that is plumbed, sand, and some live rock. Still working on getting some more LR. I ordered some lights from my LFS and they never came in, so I am on a hunt for those too. I originally was going to buy a unit of 4 power compacts and 2 Metal Halides, but he didn't have any bulbs for it. I have been reading a lot of posts on the dimmable LED's on ebay/amazon and it perked my interest, but not 100% sold on them yet.

Thanks again for the help! :thanks:

Most people who have those leds love them. I am one of the very few who had trouble with them. :-( But if you go that route just make sure you get dimmable ones. :) The power consumption adn lack of having to change bulbs are some real pluses as far as those leds. I have since switched back to t5's and realize i will be paying about $200 a year just for bulbs but I have also noticed my corals are doing so much better since going back to the t5's. I might even be able to save a red monti I thought for sure was gonna be a goner. lol
But yeah, 2 of those led panels would allow you to keep just about anything you woudl want to keep.
As far as the sump and skimmer, the majority of people go intake section with skimmer, then refugium then return pump section. Thats how i had mine setup before I ditched the refugium. Never had any issues with pods or any critters, had a ton in the refugium section that were able to make their way into the tank. Another consideration is you dont want a super amount of flow in the refugium section, you want the macro algae to be able to absorb the nutrients they are supposed to and a skimmer might add too much flow on top of the actual flow going through that section. Not to mention you dont want the skimmer to suck up any free floating macro algae or sand, it would clog the pump.
There isnt always a definitive way to do things, there are like they say a couple of ways to skin a cat. ( not that I would condone skinning a cat LOL)

Back
Top Bottom