Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

protein skimmer/sump question.

So my husband bought me a used Aqueon Mega Flow Model 3 sump today for my 1st SW tank. He even had it all plumbed by the time I got home! The only thing is our LFS told him that I would not be able to use my in sump protein skimmer with it and I would have to purchase a HOB skimmer. He said that the protein skimmer need to go where the water entered the sump (very small area) and not in the refugium part. I wanted to do a sump to have a refugium which is what my hubby told our LFS and that is how he ended up with the megaflow. Can I use my in sump skimmer or do I really have to buy a HOB?

If I can use it, can I build a platform or something to keep it in the refugium chamber or will this not work?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You really dont want the skimmer in with the refugium, it will eat up helpful critters. :-(

Yeah, I looked at those sumps too and decided against it for the reason you have the issue now.

There are some really great hang on skimmers though so dont think you will be at a disadvantage.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Thanks Carey. I do like the design of the sump just wish I could use it with my skimmer Any suggestions on a good HOB?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

check out reef octopus ones, they come highly reccommended.

What size is the tank btw?

I love my remora pro on my 40g tank, but some people hate em. lol I alos like the eshopps skimmers too.....good price point and decent performance
Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

It's a 75 gal. It's my 1st attempt at a reef tank. It's so exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. I have been doing tons of research and just when I don't think I can read another article, I research some more. I'm already addicted before I even start
Old 08-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know the feeling lol

I would take a look at some reviews and if you find a skimmer that you think would work just post and someone who has one or had one will be sure to respond.

At that size and if its a reef to be a skimmer is a MUST. The best advice is to find a good one, dont skimp out on the skimmer as it is probably one of the most important things you can buy next to lights and using ro/di water.
I've found when you skimp and try to save a few bucks you end up buying the same piece of equipment twice and it just doubles the cost.

But yeah, reef octopus is a good place to start. I use marine depot.com to search for stuff as they have alot of reviews and give detailed info about the skimmers such as size and recommended tank sizes.
You are looking for something that skims at least 100g,preferable 150g if you can...always good to go 50% higher in rating as manufacturers tend to over rate their skimmers. lol
Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

Thank you for all of your advice. It's nice to know that people are willing to help us newbies. On to more research I guess... for a new protein skimmer!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Research is one of the best things to me about aquaria. You may think you know the answer but there is soo much to learn! I have been avidly researching fish and equipment for years and it never gets old. lol

Good luck!! And hope to see some pictures of your setup when you get her up and running.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

protein skimmer/sump question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
You really dont want the skimmer in with the refugium, it will eat up helpful critters. :-(

I love reading Carey's post and seeing all her pics. She know tons About all things aquaria. But I will have to disagree with her on this one point.

I have a 2 section sump with my skimmer, reactor pump, chaeto and rock rubble all in the first section. I have all sorts of pods living right on my 2 pumps and my refugium section is full of them. I have always checked for any signs of pods in my skimmer cup and never seen any. The skimmer pump and reactor pump are not a threat to these helpful little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Research is a great thing. I spend a lot of time researching everything I do. My 4 boys love seeing all the cool pics lol.

I love a healthy debate... so now I am searching HOB protein skimmers, while in the meantime I am going to try my in sump one in the refugium while I am cycling the tank. Right now I don't even have any beneficial critters that I know of.

I have a tank, a sump that is plumbed, sand, and some live rock. Still working on getting some more LR. I ordered some lights from my LFS and they never came in, so I am on a hunt for those too. I originally was going to buy a unit of 4 power compacts and 2 Metal Halides, but he didn't have any bulbs for it. I have been reading a lot of posts on the dimmable LED's on ebay/amazon and it perked my interest, but not 100% sold on them yet.

Thanks again for the help!

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, question, rot, skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com