Protein Skimmers and FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
In a 55 gallon tank with only fish, is a skimmer necessary? What extra maintenance would a tank without a skimmer require?

Bettababe1011 said:
In a 55 gallon tank with only fish, is a skimmer necessary? What extra maintenance would a tank without a skimmer require?

Its not necessary but is generally a good idea. Does this tank have live rock or sand? If you have live rock i suggest a skimmer. If not a skimmer and live rock what filter do you want to use? They all have drawbacks and require maintenance.

Well, I want a skimmer eventually, but for getting started out, I was planning on using two HOB filters.

And it's going to have live rock. This tank is still in the planning stage, so it's not up yet.

Well hob power filter require weekly maintenance. By changing out filters. However using a powerfilter traps organics, if these organics get out of control they can rapidly produce nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates and phosphates cause algae problems so its important to keep it clean.

Skimmers do the job better by removing the organics instead of trapping them. Also no replacement of costly filters every week and it controls nutrients much better. You will want to make sure your changing out the filter every week and doing 10% water changes. Fish can tolerate nitrates to an extent buy corals can not, hence why skimmer are so important in reef tank.

Schism said:
Well hob power filter require weekly maintenance. By changing out filters. However using a powerfilter traps organics, if these organics get out of control they can rapidly produce nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates and phosphates cause algae problems so its important to keep it clean.

Skimmers do the job better by removing the organics instead of trapping them. Also no replacement of costly filters every week and it controls nutrients much better. You will want to make sure your changing out the filter every week and doing 10% water changes. Fish can tolerate nitrates to an extent buy corals can not, hence why skimmer are so important in reef tank.

You don't to change your filter media just clean it out really well. You are best to do it during a water change in old tank water just make sure to clean it very well. Replacement is only needed when the filter media is falling apart.

Yes this is true however Nitrates will build up faster and most people do not seriously have to time to wash nasty poo off on a semi daily/weekly basis depending on bioload. It works boths ways but you have to know the consequences of slacking on your maintenance. Replacing it is easier and can yield better results as far as nitrate production. But how you maintain it is up to you and what works.

Okay. I may do the filters for now, or I may try to find someone who will hire someone my age, and save up for the protein skimmer. I'm just starting to get impatient wanting to start the cycle. I've been planning this tank for a long time. :)

Back
Top Bottom