Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
Protein Skimmers, Etc.

Are Protein Skimmers required for Marine Aquariums? Ive been doing freshwater aquariums and ponds for many years, and I want to start a saltwater tank. Recommendations are greatly appreciated! I need all of the advice I can get! I am willing to spend the money on the good stuff... and not get ****** stuff and regret it later. Thanks for the help!

Keegan, Marine Tank Novice

Old 11-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats a big debate by alot out there but imo your better off with one than with out ! unless your not like the most of us that like to put mabe alittle more in their tanks than they should have but most would agree that ya shoulkd have one for sure !

Old 11-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

How Do You Clean Them?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well first of all you need to know if you want an in sump or hob (hang on back) skimmer. You need to know the size of your tank since each skimmer is rated to clean certain sizes. Im personally a fan of aquac the remora and urchin and ev series. They all work well and have recevied a lot of good reviews. A skimmer isnt "Required" its just a good thing to have on your tank since it removes a lot of detritus and particulate. One of the main things you need to consider is your price range. Skimmers arent cheap which led me to make my own but if you have the money for one they are worth every penny.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was looking into the red sea skimmers. I am going to go with a 75 or 90 gallon tank. So probably just a H.O.B. Unless you suggest otherwise? I was going to get a protein skimmer, and an emperor 400gph wet/dry filter. Suggestions?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishFan
How Do You Clean Them?
I use a toothbrush and cold water. Just make sure the toothbrush you use isn't anywhere close to where you brush your teeth...wouldn't want to get mixed up and grab the wrong one 8O .

What size tank you are going to set up? Do intend to have a reef tank, a FOWLR tank, or a FO tank? All of these are factors in what type of filtration you'll need. Are you familiar with the Berlin system of filtration?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

No I am not familiar with the Berlin System Of Filtration. I actually wanted to do coral.. an anenome or two... ... but mostly live rock. So i guess its considered a reef tank. Probably a 75 or 90 gallon tank, so its medium sized. Isnt there a cup you have for the protein skimmer? i heard they fill up fairly fast. Is that true? I am willing to devote alot of time to this tank, but im not going to be emptying a half ounce cup every other hour. Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want hangon back id go with the remora pro. You wont be emptying it every other hour but in the beginning you will empty it once a day due to the buildup of waste thats collected. After the inital break in period you wont have to empty it as often, although you should just for performance sake. If youre going to do a reef system then ditch the wet/dry they are for fish only tanks. The penguin isnt bad its good for water movement and powerfilters can be a good place to put your heater and get your hardware out of the main tank. HTH
Old 11-19-2003, 08:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now what kind of filtration should i use for a reef then? is it more hard to take care of a few coral... an anenome, and some live rock than it would be to take care of a FO tank? I know a protein skimmer cant be it.. there must be more filtration.... Thanks for the help! Keep the suggestions comming.. i LOVE this website! So much help! thanks again
Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
IMO The best filtration for a reef tank is live rock...about 1.5 lbs per gallon along with a sandbed of about 3-4". This along with a protein skimmer will help maintain the high water quality needed to keep corals and anemones. The LR and sand presents a large surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on and carry out biofiltration. The deep sand bed can provide a low oxygen enviroment for denitrifying bacteria to grow in helping to remove nitrates.
A reef tank can be more demanding than a FO tank. Water quality must be more closely monitored and some corals and most all anemones require intense lighting, water flow and special feeding. Do a lot of research before jumping into the reefkeeping hobby. It can be time consuming and expensive but is definitely worth every minute and penny spent. HTH

Tags
protein, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com