protien skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my skimmer arrives tomorrow and I'm turning my hob filter into a fuge. How long should I keep my filter running after putting my skimmer on the tank? I'm trying to figure out what I use for substrate in my fuge. Any help there would be nice as well. Thanks!

Most skimmers will require a break in period before they start to skim correctly.., usually somewhere between two days to a week... Is this skimmer a hob unit???
As far as a substrate for your little fuge goes.,you can use sand, crushed coral, live rock rubble etc...add some chaeto and away you go

From everything I've read, if the fuge is small thent he use of sand and LR is minimal, especially sand as it requires a deep bed to be effective. When I get mine up and running, I'm not going to use any sand or mud and toss in whatever LR rubble I have left laying around in my tank just to get it out of there and keep it alive. I have just started reading, but there has been some backing that I have seen in these forums...hopefully they'll speak up and give some more detailed information.

Basically, if you have spare LR then I would toss it in, if not I wouldn't worry about it unless you aren't currently running 1-1.5x LR per gallon...in that case you should put it in your DT. No sand or mud, just macro of whatever you choose.

Yeah it's a hob. The break in period was the reason why I was asking about when I cam remove my hob filter. From what I read the skimmer I got takes about 2 days to break in.

Every skimmer is different. Just install it and open the air valve the entire way until it starts doing its thing and tone it down if needed. Took mine a week to work right. I ran it side by side as HOB with my carbon filter. I have since moved my skimmer into my sump, but am still running my carbon filter. I'm planning on continuing to run my carbon filter and the skimmer, especially since I will be getting some free pods with my incoming order. It'll be another place for them to live.

Back
Top Bottom