Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

Protien Skimmer stopped producing

for weeks my remora c protien skimmer has been working like a charm. last week, it simply stopped producing. no foam in the tower and nothing in the collection cup. I removed it, cleaned the power head and replaced the unit...still nothing. Should I be concerned?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have anything in your tank? It would help to give you a better assesment if you provided more details about your tank and its content. Maybe there is nothing left to skim out?

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not familiar with this unit, but If it was working before my guess is check the air intake tube as well as pump. Very likely that somewhere salt creep has built up and stoped your air flow hence no bubbles and no foam.
If it has an air intake tube sometimes they have to be replaced.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you added any thing to the tank recently? Sometimes if you add additives such as calcium or pH it can temporarily stop skimming. Consistent top-off level will help as well. Just a thought...

Mike
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Remora Pro will stop producing skimmate if the tube inside the collection cup doesn't get cleaned on a regular basis. You could also check to see if the injector nozzle has somehow become clogged. The injector is located underneath a little plastic screw that is located on the inlet pipe. Remove the screw and use the little brush that came with the skimmer thru the nozzle a couple of times to remove any blockage and replace the screw.
HTH
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound_for_obx
My Remora Pro will stop producing skimmate if the tube inside the collection cup doesn't get cleaned on a regular basis. You could also check to see if the injector nozzle has somehow become clogged. The injector is located underneath a little plastic screw that is located on the inlet pipe. Remove the screw and use the little brush that came with the skimmer thru the nozzle a couple of times to remove any blockage and replace the screw.
HTH
I am holding out for a clogged tube or nozzel. This has happened a few times with my CPR with the rio pump.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com