Originally Posted by Electrobes
they actually suggest having a ppm
of 40 of nitrites for soft corals.
Could you point out where you read that (not brow beating, just curious
)? I would strongly disagree with that statement though. Some levels of nitrate are not harmful for many coral types but we are talking <10 ppm
. 40 ppm
for most coral types could easily lead to bacterial infections, including many soft corals.
Soft corals do tend to do a bit better in higher nutrient waters but it's the DOC
not the nitrate that is the main fuel source for their growth. They can incorporate nitrates into their growth but it is only in smaller amounts and is a way for them to process the less harmful poison. If you have a great many soft corals that are harvested regularly, they will remove the DOC
before it is consumed by the system. Conversely, if there is insufficient means to remove the DOC
, you end up with nitrate.