Protien Skimming??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the tank is cycled and you have a protein skimmer, I'd run it. It should remove a lot of dissolved organics before they can break down into nitrates.

It should remove a lot of dissolved organics before they can break down into nitrates.

I didn't know that! I have been turning mine off during the night and running it during the day but I guess from now on I'll ket it keep on trucking. :D

well the issue with protein skimming is that keeping it on too long takes out some beneficial stuff that you actually put in. Also dissolved organics.. having some in your tank isn't a bad thing, they actually suggest having a ppm of 40 of nitrites for soft corals.

Electrobes said:
they actually suggest having a ppm of 40 of nitrites for soft corals.
Could you point out where you read that (not brow beating, just curious :wink: )? I would strongly disagree with that statement though. Some levels of nitrate are not harmful for many coral types but we are talking <10 ppm. 40 ppm for most coral types could easily lead to bacterial infections, including many soft corals.

Soft corals do tend to do a bit better in higher nutrient waters but it's the DOC not the nitrate that is the main fuel source for their growth. They can incorporate nitrates into their growth but it is only in smaller amounts and is a way for them to process the less harmful poison. If you have a great many soft corals that are harvested regularly, they will remove the DOC before it is consumed by the system. Conversely, if there is insufficient means to remove the DOC, you end up with nitrate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom