Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Puffer eating problem

One of my clients has a juvenile porcupine puffer, ( 3-4) in. The fish developed "Lockjaw". Diet has alway been frozen krill. I took the fish and force feed with a pureed mixture of octopus, squid, shrimp, and pea's and a supplement of Vita-Chem, in food and in tank water. We force feed with a syringe and flexable air line hose. After 5 feedings the condition reversed and he's able to open his mouth and eat on his own. The problem is that all he will eat is krill, and I know that if the diet is not varied, the problem will reoccur. I'm all most afraid to starve him for 3 or 4 days, now that he's eating again. Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve, aka cleantank

Old 11-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would at least soak the krill in some vitamins before feeding it to him. You can also try a garlic extract product with new kinds of food, they are supposed to be an appetite enhancer. Most fish, when they get hungry enough, will eat the new kind of food and learn to like other things.

Tags
eat, eating, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com