Pump almost gave me a heart attack (Mag Drive 7)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Only four days in to my cycle and this damn pump at 1 in the morning starts cutting out making this loud intermittent surge. So mad since it is new and thought that the Mag Drive products were reliable. It sounds as if the motor just simply cuts out and in randomly. Is there something that I am missing here, can the thing actually be bad in four days? Now I have to bend over and buy one from the LFS for twice the price that I got it for on line. Right now as I sit here at work there is no flow in the tank, will this harm my cycling considerably? Any input would be great.

Right now as I sit here at work there is no flow in the tank, will this harm my cycling considerably?

Yes.

Only four days in to my cycle and this damn pump at 1 in the morning starts cutting out making this loud intermittent surge. So mad since it is new and thought that the Mag Drive products were reliable.

They are, but as with any mass produced items, occasionally you get a bad one.

Have you tried taking the cover off the pump and seeing if something got sucked into the pump? Is the pump fully submerged in water? Is there any cavitation at the pump intake?

I pulled the sponge filter and did a visual on it. It looks okay, nothing obstructing it and no possibilty for cavitation. The pump is submerged to a about 6 inches . The damn motor simply cuts off. It sounds to me as if an electrical connection within the motor is faulty. I tried sever outlets and jiggled the main plug and this is not the problem. IT is internal.. I believe.

I think during my lunch break I will have to go and get a replacement quickly,

Thanks Kevin

Did you take the cover off the impeller housing and see if anything was obstrucing the impeller?

If you've run it only with the sponge, it is unlikely, but still possible.

Called Danner this maker of the pump and they agreed that the pump electrical is bad and not really a mechanical issue. So I have to return this thing pay for the shipping there and back. Such are the woes when you buy online. But believe I will right a letter to their customer "service" dept. In my mind that is unacceptable.

championlighting.com

They had the best prices I would recommend them. IT is Danner that I have issues with.

The intake to the pump is at least 6 inches under the water . I inspected the pump closer and could still not find any obvious defects. Either way I rushed out to the LFS during my lunch break and paid twice the amount that I had bought it for online 95 bucks. I am torqued. Oh well. The system is up and running again.
Thanks all for the help.

Back
Top Bottom