Pump for sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibb72

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a 90 gallon and making 40 gallon sump, is it better to get a 9.5 mag drive pump or a 12 for the sump?

I have looked online at sumps and they very in baffle sizes from 8""- 12" for a 40 gallon. What would be the best size to have cut?

consider a diablo/speedwave type DC water pump. They are much cheaper now, give great flow, quiet and have 6 speed settings for your sumping pleasure

I use a mag 7 on a 75 and I wish I did a 9 because i configured my sump differently with the return in the middle chamber with a t feeding the refugium. I got this idea from Melevs reef but it is really for a bigger sump like a 40b or bigger (mine is a 20 L) I wish I had done the normal setup: dump, fuge, return so all of the pump could be going back to the DT. Oh well live and learn lol.

You can go with a bigger pump and put a T back to the dump then a ball valve to back it down a little so you can get the flow to the DT you want. The flow I get into the DT from my pump is pitiful.

One other thing is the pump is kind of loud from vibration so for my next one I will be looking at a quieter one.

I would do 12 if I were you.

I just received my trition 5 pump today. It seems really well made and is pretty quite. Overall very happy with it especially since paid less than 80 shipped.

Back
Top Bottom