Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 73
Pump lines

What do I use to run the water from my sump to my overflows? Do I use clear tubing(1/2 or 3/4") or PVC. Does it matter? Is one better than other? I am setting up a big tank and now aquiring all of the things I need now to start cycling.

150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,256
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I use clear tubing from my overflows to my sump and use PVC to go from my return pump to my tank. You can use PVC both ways if you wish. I like the tubing for my drain lines as it permits me to mvoe the drain lines if I want to.

If you use PVC you should invest in some true unions and some ball valves. The unions will alow you to disconnect the pump from the rigid plumbing with out having to cut the pipe. You would also put the unions just below where the plumbing connects to your tank (if your tanks 'reef ready'). This way you can disconnect your plumbing from the tank when/if you move the tank. Else you will have to take a hacksaw to it and cut the plumbing off and then deal with refiting the plumbing later.

The ball valves will allow you to cut the water off when servicing the sump, pump or plumbing. I would put ball valves directly above the true union thats above the pump so you can turn off the water from the return lines and then remove the pump with out dumping alot of water. The ball valves above the unions on the tank return would permit you to cut off the water and then disconnect the bulk of the sump's plumbing for repair/replace with out having to drop th ewater level in the tank to a point where its below the return lines.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote


Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard Water Lines bry1105 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 02-25-2009 11:57 AM
air in the lines... help please DallasFish General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 09-19-2008 12:13 AM
Brown Spots and lines? PsiPro Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 09-05-2005 11:41 AM
glimmer lines todd9146 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 11 08-23-2003 09:55 AM

» Photo Contest Winners

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.